'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I love your reasons, @katie-13. I feel the same way :grinning:

3 Likes

I love Pobol Y Cwm! @alex-clewett

1 Like

Because my DNA told me I was 48% Welsh (42% English). I identify as Welsh so I need to learn our language!! (the rest of my DNA is from Eastern Europe I’m not ready to learn a language from there yet!) let’s get Welsh sorted first!!

7 Likes

You have some very good reasons there! I suppose you could mix things up and mess with expectations by undertaking gog…:wink::laughing::innocent:

2 Likes

It’s interesting to see a positive correlation showing a connection between the language and a sense of Welsh nationalism.

2 Likes

I think without the language so much of the culture is lost. Our folklore, songs, poetry etc are lost to me for now, and would be lost entirely if Welsh died out. So learning the language is a way to connect with all of that and be part of the necessary fight to keep it alive. It’s Welsh Nationalism of necessity, I suppose. I feel like all languages are worth something, and losing any would make humanity poorer for it. Welsh is my problem though, I definitely feel a sense of responsibility for it.

9 Likes

@aran @Kinetic Is there ever going to be a way for us to double-heart something such as this?

3 Likes

Apparently not… :wink:

1 Like

⇑↑⬆︎☝︎⇪⇞⤊↟⟰⥉⬆︎
This is fantastic and what I wanted to say but could not find the words. I would add, at least for me, a sense of belonging. I’m American with newly discovered Welsh ancestry and I find, through learning the language, a lost community of history, culture and a group of amazing and helpful people.

In the United States, our heritage is determined by ancestry. I do not know of anyone when asked of their heritage responds with “American.” HA!

4 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: An off-topic discussion about nationalism and culture

Yes Fel Mwclis gan Mary Hughes

1 Like

I hope I will soon feel more confident in my ability to learn and speak our wonderful language. 2 months into the 6 month course and it does feel like a struggle at times.

7 Likes

Keep at it @Kim-J - if you are two months in you are doing great :+1: :+1:

The course works and you will find your ability to speak creeping up on you.

The main thing is not to worry about it and to try and enjoy it!

Everyone has tricky patches - everyone! :wink: :sunny:

Rich :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Diolch, @katherine-king. I’ve just ordered a copy from A****n. :grin:

Because I want to speak the language of my father to his surviving relatives!

6 Likes

I thought A****n did start-up company software… Who knew :wink: :laughing:

1 Like

Er…I meant a certain large, online retailer! :wink:

I am a wag…fair warning

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because a minister once told me Welsh is the language of Heaven, so I thought it would be a good idea to have a head-start. Seriously, many of my family are Welsh speakers and I would like to be able to talk to them in Welsh, rather than they having to speak to me in English.

8 Likes

Briefly confused there by football connotation (to my shame). Wag is good in terms of wit :rofl:

1 Like