'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

Yup… :star2: :wink:

Although I am English, I have lived in Wales since 1986.
I feel that I have a duty to my adopted country to help keep its language and culture alive. I will happily be one in a million.

My journey may nudge my non Welsh speaking friends into learning their mother tongue.

19 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because the language was once part of my family on my Dad’s side, and feel that it would be tremendous if it continued

10 Likes

… I want to be able to talk to friends and others in my community and further afield in their first language.

I also want to feel a sense of acceptance and belonging. I was born in Wales and grew up in Wales but can’t speak the language so in some ways, I feel a bit of an outsider. :neutral_face:

9 Likes

I would like to move to Wales when I retire and I don’t want to make people speak English for my sake.

9 Likes

That’s a tough one - really difficult feelings there, which I remember very clearly. But it’s important for you to know that you belong, and that this is your home and your language, even though you can’t speak it confidently yet (through no fault of your own).

You’ve got this. You’ll get there… :slight_smile:

15 Likes

That’s pretty much it for me. It’s part of my cultural heritage and I want it back!

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I live in Wales and Welsh is the language of Wales. I also want to understand Welsh, on the television, on the radio and out and about. I want to be able to speak this beautiful language

7 Likes

Dw i’n siarad Cymraeg nawr! New people speak to me and congratulate me on learning our language.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because since I moved to North Wales I have been surrounded by Welsh speakers and I want to join in as I love the lanuage.

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have a longing in my hart for Wales its people and the language.

9 Likes

I was born in Wales And Proud to be Welsh

4 Likes

Being able to speak Welsh means more to me than achieving anything else.

To my shame ive started many courses , ive started SSIW many times and eventually given up. So i talk the talk but as yet haven’t walked the walk!

My dad and his family were from Alltwen in the Swansea valley and at family gatherings Welsh was a massive part of my life. They have all passed away, however i’ve sent my daughter to a Welsh school and taken huge pride in hearing her speak Welsh and fully embracing our Welsh culture.

Im proud to say my step grand daughter is now also attending a Welsh primary school, so a strong family tradition is being maintained.

Now the pressure os on me :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Dwi eisiau Siarad Cymraeg achos fi Brawd Siarad yn Rhuegl achos aetho Ysgol Cymraeg. I think it is important to keep Welsh Culture alive and I’m missing out on so much. Paul Bradley

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because, despite having no Welsh family or other connections, I love the place and its culture, and when I visit, and perhaps one day live in Wales, I want to immerse myself properly in its culture and community; just as with anywhere else where English is not the first language that means learning the language.

Thanks everyone for the thread so far, some wonderful and inspiring reasons to learn this wonderful language!

7 Likes

I’m proud to be Welsh and I want the language to thrive.

5 Likes

I would like to be able to speak Welsh because I find it a beautiful and fascinating language. I am Irish and I wanted to see how similar to our Celtic language it is. I find I am now hooked on it. This is my first time on the forum and would appreciate any help on how to post a question.
Go raibh maith agaibh. Thanks.
Mick

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I was born and bred in Wales and feel 99% Welsh but learning the language will give me the missing 1% to take me to 100% Welsh

5 Likes

I was born in Wales but can’t speak the language. In two generations it was gone from my family. I want to get it back. I am proud of being Welsh but will be even prouder and feel more connected when I can speak the language. I am sad that it has taken me until my 60’s to start this as life got in the way and I am not living in Wales. I hope to move back soon and improve on everything I am learning on the 6mws course. I want my heritage, language and culture back. Oh and I want to understand Welsh language programmes like Craith and Y Gwyll etc etc!!!

10 Likes

This is such an inspirational thread - thank you all for posting! :star: :star2:

2 Likes