'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

because… I AM Welsh!

8 Likes

Lucky you! :sparkles:

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because some of my elderly patients struggle with English, so I hope to make things a little easier for them while they are poorly.

15 Likes

…being able to speak our language would make my Welshness complete.

9 Likes

Ah, Padawan…your journey to the iaith-side awaits. Can you sense the power :person_fencing:

3 Likes

I want to become closer to the community I now live in.

6 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because I work with lots of welsh medium nurseries. I want to be able to understand what is being said around me and join in conversations. I’m loving the sense of ‘making progress’ this method gives me :smiley:

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’ve wanted it since I was about 13 years old (some 50 years ago). I’ve lived in Southern California most of my life, learned German in school, and have a few words of Spanish and French. Now I’m retired and am taking my best shot at Welsh!

7 Likes

Blockquote What’s your WHY ?
How would you finish the sentence ‘I want to be a Welsh speaker because…’?> Blockquote

…because I fell in love with this beautiful language as a child, and have dreamed of being able to speak it ever since.

Blockquote And what’s ONE thing you hope will happen when you are a Welsh speaker?> Blockquote

Well, I have spent over 20 years dreaming of a move to Ceredigion…over the years numerous obstacles have inhibited me, but I know that my ability to speak Welsh will not only strengthen my sense of connection to the place that has always given me a sense hiraeth, but I feel sure it will ensure that I realise my dream and I’ll actually get there! (Positive thinking and all that!)

7 Likes

Do you live in Mumbles? I live in South London but visit and stay with my friends in Mumbles (Cornwall Place) 2-3 times a year. I’ve just started learning Welsh on the SSiW app in the last few weeks so I can have some small conversations with my friend who speaks some Welsh but is a bit shy and doesn’t speak it to anyone. Maybe we should say hello some time when I’m next there for a few days?

3 Likes

Since starting to learn Welsh I have been trying it out on unsuspecting folk in my community that I know are Welsh speakers- they are always supportive and pleased with how much I seem to have learnt in such a short time :grinning::grinning:

8 Likes

Soon my grandson will be moving to Wales and going to a Welsh speaking school. I want to speak welsh so that I can practice with him.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker as my wife has spoken the language for many years and having lived here over 30 years myself I thought it was about time :grinning:

7 Likes

Hi Ken, I have grandchildren who attend a Welsh school and know exactly where you are coming from with your reason for learning the language. I’m really enjoying the course and have just completed week 8 of the 6 month course.

4 Likes

Dw’n moyn dysgu cymraeg achos gweoedd am fy mod yn Gymro ac yn faich hi. Dw i ar qythnos deg ac er ei fod yn ddiddorol, maen’n gallad, but dw i’n benderfynol o gadw ati. Rydw i’n ei chael hi’n anodd siarad ag unrhyw un Gymraeg.
I can say the welsh out loud to myself but clam up when going to speak to someone it all seems to fly out of my head.
Any suggestions ??

5 Likes

I want to speak Welsh because my partner and his family speak it. I also feel that having lived in Wales all my life I have a duty to speak the language and have always wanted too!

Can’t believe how much I’ve learnt so far in such little time. I look forward to being able to have Welsh conversations with lots of different people once I am a Welsh Speaker.

3 Likes

Hi Sandra. You seemed spot on to me at Aberafan. I think its just confidence and practice with all of us. Youll be fine.

1 Like

Diolch John

I live in an area of North Wales where the language is very much alive and kicking. I always said that if I lived in a country where English was not the first language, that I would endeavour to learn at least some of the native tongue. I married a welsh woman and both of her siblings married first language Welsh. Consequently, their children and their children’s children are all first language Welsh. If I want to converse with the babies as they’re growing up, I have to learn their language.

I am aware that I need to practise more, but I am buoyed by the comments I get when I do brave it.

Oh, I also work in an environment where there are two Welsh speakers, so I hear Welsh being spoken most days. I occasionally practise on them!

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because 3 of my grandchildren have moved to Wales and now learn Welsh at school and my youngest grandaughter will soon attend a Welsh medium nursery and is being brought up bi-lingual. I want to be able to speak some Welsh to her and my daughter in law.

4 Likes