'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

A very warm welcome to the forum, Alexander (to make up for the snow! :wink: ).

@Rg1 is in Yekaterinburg, as I believe is @argkh (oh, not on the forum any more) - as is @seren - not sure how recently any of them have been on the forum, but tagging them might get a response - alternatively, if you click and send a private message the forum should let them knowā€¦:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™d seen the Welsh language, but not heard it. When I found a few songs with Welsh lyrics on YouTube, that was it. I was hooked. And the more I explored, the more music I found. Thereā€™s folk, pop, rock, instrumentalā€¦ The playlist I made for Welsh music is over 200 songs right now, and keeps growing. :laughing:

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I like the challenge to learn it and I want to live in Wales one day

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I think itā€™s important to protect our cultural heritage

8 Likes

ā€¦because I have a shoddy working memory and learnig is such a pain in the a** for me. But ā€œtheyā€ wonā€™t keep me from trying to become a Welsh speaker (in approximately hundred years) :rage::boom:

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because Iā€™m really proud of my west Walian roots and learning the language has always been on my wish list. So Iā€™ve stopped making excuses, taken the plunge and Iā€™m absolutely loving it so far.

My goal is to be able to siarad Cymraeg within the community and in the workplace (mastering how to say Ymddiriedolaeth Genedlaethol has taken a bit of practice! :rofl:).

7 Likes

Have since been brave enough to speak Welsh with my Nana on her 89th birthday. Made my dad so proud, as I was the first grandchild of hers to speak Welsh with her. Nana just took it in her stride!!

6 Likes

I want to be a more fluent Welsh speaker to open up my job opportunities. People will be impressed by the effort Iā€™m making and the results Iā€™m achieving and offer me more supply work! Also, my family will be proud of me and my children will be inspired to learn Welsh eagerly at school!

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because ā€¦

I work for Conwy Council and I would really love to be able to communicate with my customers in both English and Welsh.
I have also moved to a bigger Welsh area and would love to be able to converse with my neighbours in there first language.

7 Likes

ā€¦Iā€™ve always assumed that I one day would be, at least since I was a child walking in the Preseli mountains.

Slightly more immediately: itā€™s looking somewhat feasible that my family might be moving to Wales in the next few years.

Even more immediately: I was ordering a book for my daughter (a cheap copy of Dick King-Smithā€™s ā€œThe Fox Bustersā€, if youā€™re really curious!) and ended up receiving the Welsh translation (energetically titled ā€œWham-Bam-Bang!ā€) which had accidentally been listed alongside the English copies. It seemed like as good an excuse as any to get started! I should try actually reading it soonā€¦

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker so I can speak to my loved ones in their first language :hugs: and to prove to myself Iā€™m capable of learning it!

11 Likes

ā€¦I feel the need to connect with my roots. Iā€™m of mixed English, Welsh And Irish descent, but the connection I feel with Cymru calls to my heart.

7 Likes

I want to learn to speak welsh because I am very proud to be welsh and have always wished I could speak Welsh. As I have got older and as I have begun to work with more welsh speakers this wish has grown stronger. When I am a welsh speaker I hope to feel very proud of my achievements and I look forward to being able to speak Welsh when I can :blush:

10 Likes

I am half Welsh and have always had an uncanny feeling of being a hairs breath away from understanding and speaking the language, and now thanks to SSiW I am overjoyed that that is becoming a reality.

9 Likes

Croeso, Amanda-Taylor iā€™r ffwrm (Welcome to the forum). When I read this dependent clause my first thought was to remember asking myself how much Welsh would I need to know to consider myself a speaker? I think most learners, including myself, think we need to be mostly fluent before we perceive outselves as speakers, but that isnā€™t true, at all. SSiW helped me to understand if you can string together 4 sentences in Welsh, then you are a Welsh speaker! Yes you truly are! And youā€™ll build upon that and become a Welsh speaker with more words and phases.

6 Likes

This I totally understand. Iā€™m American, born, raised and still live here. I started learning Welsh a year ago to gain an understanding of my ancestors. If I learned their language, then I would understand them. I can honestly say, learning Cymraeg through SSiW, I feel I belong to a larger group than just my family. I get that feeling of hireath, which is surprising as Iā€™ve never been to Cymru.

7 Likes

YES and YES!

I agree wholeheartedly with both of these posts so much, @delawarejones !

@amanda-taylor I think I felt like I was really a Welsh speaker the first time a song filtered in from my laptop the next room and spoke right to my heart, without having known the lyrics beforeā€¦ even though I was technically being ā€œspoken to.ā€ When Iestyn said at the end of Level 1 last week that I really am a Welsh speaker now, it was a bit easier to believe him, and I was moved so deeply.

@essenbee I, like @delawarejones , started this journey in search of my ancestors. I never imagined the connection it would create in the present, to a people and a land far from where I was born (I was born in California, USA), and what that might mean for my future as a Welsh speaker. I spent the last two years in isolation and depression, and I have always felt a sense of hiraeth for a place I did not know - I was adopted and so was my birth mother, so I didnā€™t know where I came from until very recently. Through learning Welsh with the lovely people here I have found a community and a place for myself in the worldā€¦ and that place is centered around Cymru.

12 Likes

Thank you @delawarejones for your reply to @amanda-taylor. You both spoke from the heart and struck a chord with me. I have so longed to be able to ā€œproveā€ my welsh heritage but not being a welsh speaker has made it hard for me to feel justification of it, and I have also wondered just how good at speaking welsh do you need to say you are a welsh speakerā€¦ I love the idea that 4 sentences is enough because I can do that already! Thank you @delawarejones I may print out what you said and frame it!

6 Likes

Yes, same here. Iā€™m nearing 72 but better late than hever.

3 Likes

I agree. And Iā€™m the same age. Ever onwards.
Sue

3 Likes