'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to learn Welsh because I moved here a year ago and I don’t want to be a passenger. Plus - it’s flippin’ hard (!) and that’s what makes it so interesting. A real challenge.

7 Likes

I was born 20 miles from North Wales. My childhood included many camping holidays in Wales, then constant visits through my youth into adulthood. But it was only 12 years ago, in my mid forties, that I even gave a thought about the language. People always spoke English when we went there !
My wife’s uncle, gave me a book “Welcome to Welsh” which he had bought to learn his native language. Turned out he was born and raised in The Old Smithy in Llanrhaeadr. His sister, my mother-in-law, although born in Chester and technically English, was also brought up in Llanrhaeadr in the 1930’s. Their mother was Welsh, but speaking the language was banned in their home, by the English father.
They returned there in their final few years, to see the family graves in the churchyard, next to the smithy and the pub. It is the most typical Welsh village. He was looking to buy the smithy when it came up for sale, but didn’t.
My mother-in-law Ada, came to Wales to live, with us, for the last year and 1/2 of her life, and she loved it.

So, onto the reason I want to be a Welsh speaker is …
to be able to speak to people in my local community in their first language, inspired by (Uncle Alf) who was banned from speaking his mother’s first language.

“Welcome to Welsh” led me to “Colloquial Welsh” and other grammar books then eventually to SSiW which is far and away the best, getting straight to the heart of “speaking” the language.
(aRt rodent a.k.a. Steve F. on slack)

10 Likes

I want to speak Welsh because:

• I don’t want to be one of those people that come to a country and doesn’t bother to learn the language
  • I want to prove to myself that I can learn a second language
  • I want to be able to get a job even when it says Welsh is necessary !
  • I love living in Wales and I reckon the culture, music and language is as important as the scenery
16 Likes

A big welcome to the forum, Mick! You know how to reply to an existing topic; you may be able to add your question into an existing thread . But if not, at the top right of the main forum page is a link: +New Topic. You can ask your question there.

2 Likes

Thanks BronwenLewis. I have now tried to post a question. I think I have managed it but not sure! I will get it eventually.

2 Likes

It is something I have wanted to do since I first visited wales as a child 60 years ago.

5 Likes

Yes, you managed it fine Mick - and there is an answer for you too :wink:

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I now live & work in North West Wales, and I want to be part of the community, not just a visitor.

9 Likes

I want to be a welsh Speaker because it’s a beautiful language and country. And I have welsh ancestry.
Shame I am growing up 1000 miles away

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I love hearing my colleagues speak Welsh and I want to join in. I’ve recently moved into a Welsh speaking community too. Also, as a linguist fluent in a couple of other languages, I’m quite embarrassed that I can’t speak Welsh!

7 Likes

I want to be able to chat with my young nephews Owain and Aneurin. My family are all Welsh, but haven’t spoken Cymraeg since my Grandparents’ generation. My nephews are in Welsh medium education, and their parents are putting in a lot of effort to get Cymraeg back into the family. I also hope to experience a lot of the culture and heritage that has eluded me so far. I consider myself Cymro, but have always felt guilty about the dim siarad thing. With modern tech opportunities, and the backing of the SSiW clan, no excuse not to learn now really. I hope that they’ll be pleased (and not a little surprised) with my early progress, and in return maybe they can teach me a few rude phrases and idioms…

11 Likes

Dw i isio siarad â phobl leol, wel gobeithio, ond, yn y cyfamser, ymlaen â ni !!!

2 Likes

I was born in Wales, lived here all my life, I love Wales but I never spoke Welsh confidently. I learned bits, gave up or just forgot what I had learned. I don’t feel completely Welsh without the language.

I will be able to teach my cycling courses in Welsh, I will be having conversations in our pub in Welsh. I will be able to chat with my nephews…all before I am 60 (in October)

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to speak welsh with my family. My daughter who is 7 years old is almost fluent and it’s getting to the point now where she could talk about me without me knowing what she is saying :joy: Living in an area where Welsh is spoken, I would really like to be able to join in the conversation without people having to switch to English for my benefit too.

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have lived in Wales since 1989, love languages, different cultures and being able to talk with people but never found the time to learn Welsh until now

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I wanted to learn a different language and Welsh sounds beautiful to me.
One thing I hope will happen when I am a Welsh speaker is…I guess making new connections with other Welsh speakers.

6 Likes

I want to help preserve this wonderful language, one of the oldest European languages.

I hope that, once I am a Welsh speaker, I will truly feel that I’m accepted by this beautiful land and that I will have honoured my Welsh ancestors.

5 Likes

… because having lived in North Wales for 8 years now and meeting first language Welsh speakers daily it would be great to be able to speak to them in Welsh. Since moving here I have always wanted to learn and did start night classes after first moving. But due to change in work, change in circumstances etc had to stop.

Once I have become a Welsh speaker I hope to really feel part of the community (not that I don’t already because we have always been made to feel really at home here)

5 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because I am interested in languages and other cultures. I am moving to Australia with my welsh speaking friend later this year, and I want to be able to converse freely yn gymraeg and enjoy this beautiful language.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because when I visit Wales I want to be able to speak easily with my Welsh friends.
When I achieve this they will want to speak to me in Welsh and it’ll no longer be a pain

4 Likes