'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

… Because I have recently moved to North Wales and would like to feel part of our local community.

3 Likes

I know what you mean. I have a really poor memory too. I have to do a challenge over and over until I can remember it. Don’t give up, we’ll get there :grin:!

1 Like

I empathise with your desire to visit Wales’s Holy places. One of my favourites is the Church at Pennant Melangell. It has a wonderful story about an Irish princess, who hid a hare being hunted by hounds under her skirt, the hounds backed off. The hounds belonged to a Prince who was so impressed that he gave Melangell the land there to found a church. The church’s situation is quite the most peaceful and spiritual I know of. Do go there if you get the opportunity, you won’t be disappointed.

6 Likes

I want to speak Welsh because I fell in love with Wales as a teenager and one day hope to live there.
Welsh is the only language that I have wanted to learn other than my native English. As I say my dream is to move to Wales and want to be able to talk to other welsh speakers.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker so that I can communicate with the people I live amongst; it may just open many more doors for me too.

6 Likes

Am I right that you’ve just started with SSIW? You are very unlikely to need to do everything over and over again before moving on. What about doing 12345, and then going back to 1. You will, very likely, be very gratified at how well you’ve done and begin to feel some of the magic that is SSIW. You really don’t need to understand 100% before moving on.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’ve lived here for 33years wishing I could speak the language, having promised myself before moving that I would learn, but only recently found this way to do it. I will feel even more a part of Wales when I have the language.

7 Likes

Yes! Ever onward … and I’m 75 :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I have lived in North Wales near Llangollen for two and a half years and i haven’t tried yet (but 2 challenges in and as long as i can remember what the sentence is in English, i’m doing okay with saying it in Welsh before Catrin!)

6 Likes

it is my heritage and I want to be the next generation to speak it.

5 Likes

Thanks so much for the information. I will definitely get there when I visit Wales, which is soon. I’ve heard about the Church at Pennant Melangell and now you’ve prompted me, I’ve put it on my must-see list. Thanks so much for the lovely story.

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because (and don’t laugh) I’ve always felt like a Welsh speaker trapped in a non Welsh speaker body!

12 Likes

Fi hefyd!!

3 Likes

If you go and want to call in for a Welsh chat just let me know. I’m about 5 miles from Llangynog.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have just moved to Wales and I enjoy learning languages.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because … as an Englishman just moved to Ceredigion I would like to have a conversation with someone from the village in their own language.

6 Likes

I want to make my contribution to keeping the language alive and to be able to YES to those asking ‘oh you’re from Wales…do you speak Welsh?’

8 Likes

as an American living in North Wales, I’ve come to love and appreciate this beautiful language firsthand.

8 Likes

Just adding to what I’ve already said on this thread - and this might sound a bit flippant but - I really want to be able to pronounce Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwlllantysiliogogogoch without stumbling over the middle section. (Apologies for incorrect spelling)

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’d like to be able to join in Welsh conversations at my work place.

6 Likes