'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I’ve committed my children to Welsh language education and want to be able to keep talking to them as their friends as they grow older. Excited eldest (age 6) in full flow Welsh is a wonder to behold!

5 Likes

I married a Welshman. The passion that he, and his family, have for their language, made me commit to learning it. I want to do my part in keeping the Welsh language alive. (Plus he nags me about it all the time! :laughing:)

7 Likes

I want to converse with my welsh speaking granddaughter more.

At the end of this I want to be confident speaking welsh so that I can have a conversation with any welsh speAker.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am fortunate to live in a stunning part of North Wales where a majority of people speak Welsh as their first language. I want to be able to speak to them in Welsh just as I would want to learn the language of any country I live in. When I am a Welsh speaker I’ll be able to chat to my neighbours in their first language.

6 Likes

Because it is an ancient, beautiful language which still has a place in the modern world! How will it change me? When I go back to Wales, I will feel truly at home !

4 Likes

Excellent choice, excellent motive! Pob lwc :slight_smile:

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have lived in Wales all of my 65 years and have always felt that it should be my native tongue.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I now live in Wales and I have Welsh ancestry. I also sing in a Welsh choir and have been able to take part in 2 Eisteddfodau.

I want to be able to understand my choir master when he forgets to speak English!

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am retiring to Wales in five years time and I want to fully engage with my neighbors in my community. They already love the fact that I have been learning and are very encouraging. I also want to show the children in my class that you are never to old to learn and that learning consists of persistent hard work on a daily basis!

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my young son will be going to a Welsh medium school and I want to be able to help him as much as possible.

I hope that by speaking Welsh I will make him proud and also excel in my role as a teacher in an English medium school in Wales.

2 Likes

Diolch Gruntius

1 Like

Ah kelly … a perfect reason to want to learn. Such a lovely reason to keep you on track. I work in the NHS and one is my reasons for wanting to learn is to be able to reach my welsh speaking patients, participants and colleagues. Good luck :+1:

3 Likes

Hi, I love your post … I’m going to try to be brave. Every time I think I’m ready my mind goes blank lol. Or if a welsh speaker says something to me if just sounds like a jumble of words I’ve never heard before haha. I know it’s just panic because if I overhear a welsh conversation now I can pick out and make sense of quite a few things !.. and breath :grinning:

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because its my Mother Tongue.
My ancestors where forbidden to to speak it and to reclaim the language will be healing generational oppression

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’m always ashamed when I visit Wales that I can’t speak the language - despite being a professional linguist! I’m determined that my next visit will be different.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I shall shortly be moving to Wales and if you live in the country I think you should learn the language.

I have already managed to order a pint of beer in a Welsh-speaking pub. They made me feel very welcome despite my limited vocabulary, and even more limited understanding. The beer was good toow :smiley:

6 Likes

You’ve got this, I know you have. It’s exciting. I would love to know how you get on. x

2 Likes

I live in Wales now, I’m married to a Cymro, who doesn’t speak Welsh, but have two step daughters who went to Welsh medium schools and are fluent. One of these has two little girls one of whom is starting a Welsh school in September they are nearly bi lingual already… what more reason do I need :two_hearts: Tina x

3 Likes

Thanks Ali … and you too. I love the support everyone gives each other here :+1:

1 Like

I have a new reason to improve my Welsh:

20 Likes