'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I can almost hear: “Dacw Dadi wedi dod yn ôl”

Best start brushing up on the heno, heno hen blant bach.

Llongyfarchiadau mawr.

1 Like

Aw…wonderful!

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because we moved to Wales when we got married, and have children who learned some Welsh at school. I work in a school and want to be an inspiration to the children by learning it too. Also it’s a beautiful language in a beautiful country. I feel when you move into another country you should show some respect and learn their language x

4 Likes

We’re having an adventure, moved here in 2016 and why wouldn’t you want to experience the whole adventure, landscape, people, culture and language!

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I would love to be able to talk to my friends and neighbours in their native language - that and I absolutely love the lilting sound of the language!

5 Likes

… as the other week I was on Ynys Môn … and the lady in the shop was very impressed when I asked if I could try out a bit of Welsh on her … she was so impressed when I said “I still want to learn how to say something in Welsh” … but then had to ask for a loaf in English :grinning: … but she was mightily impressed thanks to your fantastic SSIW challenge :blush: Cuppa tea in hand now and Challenge 3 awaits :grinning::grinning:

5 Likes

I’d love to be a Welsh speaker because Wales is now my adopted country - I LOVE living here and want to experience and feel part of the special culture. Also, I haven’t tried learning a language since school and want to try to learn something completely different!
My aim is to go to The Royal Welsh show this year and understand just a tiny bit of what I’m hearing! :o)

4 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

Llongyfarchiadau mawr. :heartbeat:

1 Like

Diolch o galon :grin:

@AnthonyCusack Wow - congratulations!!! Helen

1 Like

Hiya…i do that, I can chayter on to muself for ages but freeze when asked anything…argggh
Very frustrating, but lets keep going eh?

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I live in a Welsh speaking community and it will help me feel involved more in life around me.

When I am a Welsh speaker I hope I will feel confident enough to choose to use Welsh rather than reverting to English.

4 Likes

Dw i’n moyn dysgu Cymraeg achos cefais fy ngeni yng nghymru (Corrections welcome)

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have Welsh-speaking colleagues and students. I hope to be able to have a conversation with them entirely in Welsh one day!

4 Likes

I’ve basically wanted to learn Welsh since I had a caravan in Caernarfon when I was younger. I had a few Welsh friends and used to lov epicking bits of them and using themFast forward 15 years and I moved to Bangor for my PGCE. I thought this is my chance to really get into Welsh. I took classes as part of my PGCE and had to teach Welsh (badly) as part of the curriculum. I made more Welsh friends and now have a Welsh girlfriend. I’ve always enjoyed learning languages but feels amazing to actually be getting somewhere with Welsh now after so many false starts. It’s much tougher than Korean and Spanish for me (everyone surprised by this) and anyone that’s getting places with it is doing incredibly well.

4 Likes

Definitely … I’m really enjoying :grin: Will try to get someone to chat to me in work tomorrow lol … lots of luck and would love to hear how you get on :+1:

2 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau mawrion mawr!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Because - I feel an affinity with the country I’ve spent the vast majority of my life living within a dozen miles of - at various locations along the border.

What it will change - learning a language opens up a whole new culture (even way of thinking) and nowhere is more accessible to me for this than Wales

4 Likes

My best language slip up was using British Sign Language to a deaf friend. He had recently recovered from a bad cold so I signed “how are you feeling?” At least that’s what I thought I had signed. what I actually signed was “who are you feeling?”

We Learn.

3 Likes