'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

Because I grew up in Cardiff learning small bits of welsh in school and now live in Pembrokeshire near Crymych where it’s a lot more welsh speaking. I want to feel part the welsh speaking community:)

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh Speaker because I can then converse with my Welsh customers and friends in their own language as a mark of respect and also to help contribute to the renaissance of the Welsh language.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my partner & her daughters speak Welsh & I wish to join in with them.

4 Likes

I grew up in Wales and my Dad’s family were Welsh. I feel that I was denied something important to my identity, and I want to claim it back. Now I"m learning it I want to learn it for its own sake because it is a fascinating and beautiful language, and giving me more understanding of the world I grew up in.

4 Likes

I have moved to Wales so I should learn the country’s language.
I’d also like to join in a conversation rather than it stop and
change to English for me.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my husband and I spend a lot of our holidays and days out in Wales and our dream is to move there one day and own a smallholding. So I’d like to be able to chat to locals in their own language.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to talk to my friends and customers in their first language. I’m a landlady in rural Carmarthenshire so I have the advantage of hearing Welsh everyday.and a gang of very enthusiastic supporters. I can’t wait to join in and look forward to getting involved in the wider community too.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker to prove to myself that I can do it, I’ve never been much good at learning languages.

And I hope I will be able to go into Cafe Soar here in Merthyr and have a conversation without feeling too shy one day :wink:

5 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because I would just love to be able to speak Welsh.

What I would like to happen is to be able to have a conversation with people I work with

4 Likes

That’s one of my reasons too.

Chwarae teg

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because i live in North Wales and i want to more properly be part of the community here - and learning to speak the native language shows a commitment to the people, the place, its history and its future.

5 Likes

I felt that same embarrassment when I visited a shop in beddgelert last year, the lady at the counter was chatting to a customer in Cymraeg and I felt ashamed that I didn’t know one word of the language of the country I was visiting. I’'m going again in a few weeks and I will definitely speak to someone in Cymraeg. I am not a professional linguist like you, but I usually make a point of learning at least a few basic phrases before I visit a different country, if only because I have found that people are a lot more responsive if you make an effort to speak to them in their own language.

5 Likes

Thanks for the comment Jason

1 Like

my husband, son and daughter in law are first language Welsh and now I have a baby Grandson I want to speak Welsh fluently with him as he learns to talk.

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because, among other things, I want to understand the songs that I belt out at Parc Y Scarlets - and I want to understand what was going on with Myfanwy. Oh, and I want to be able to eavesdrop on the neighbours, but keep that to yourselves! Diolch yn fawr.

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to have a conversation in Welsh with my daughter who goes to a Welsh school.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’m proud to be Welsh, I’d love to join in conversations and really feel a part of the traditional heritage and culture.

3 Likes

I know how you feel Amy, I have been wanting to learn or years but havent got around to it. My Granddaughter has just started Cylch so I am at last taking the plunge! Good luck

3 Likes
  • I want to play my part and keep my countries language alive :heart:, speak it with my children, and in the village where I grew up.
3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I live in Wales and would love to join in conversations with my welsh speaking friends. I also have a granddaughter in Cylch so really want to be able to talk to her and her welsh speaking mum in welsh.

3 Likes