'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I agree and I also want to be able to read novels and poetry in the original form and to talk to and listen to people in their country in their own language.

3 Likes

ā€˜I want to be a Welsh speaker becauseā€¦ā€™ I want to talk to my neighbours and keep the Welsh language alive.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my daughter learned as an adult and so I want to catch her up and make her proud of me.

2 Likes

My sentiments exactly.

1 Like

I know this feeling @charlotte-lunn . Da iawn chdi! :clap:t2:

1 Like

I have a Welsh heritage which Iā€™m not sure I can fully embrace until I can understand the language.

3 Likes

I want to learn Welsh because I want to feel more Welsh- I never learnt the language as I grew up in an area of Wales where itā€™s not really spoken. I really want to be more of a part of the community of Welsh speakers from across Wales that Iā€™ve met in choirs etc.

One effect of me learning Welsh will be me finally being able to chat to friends who all assumed I already spoke Welsh (having quite a Welsh name!), and be able to sing Welsh songs and understand them.

5 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because I live in Wales.

3 Likes

I want to learn Welsh so that my brain doesnā€™t die and so I can talk to my friends in Welsh, and help my son practice his Welsh

3 Likes

I want to learn Welsh because I live in Wales.
I already speak 5 languages and it rather gets to me that Welsh is still eluding me!

2 Likes

I want to be able to speak Welsh as growing up in Liverpool I was always intrigued by Welsh on holidays when I was a child. Plus I have a good friend who claims to be Welsh, heā€™s as Welsh as my little finger really, but it would be satisfying to be able to speak Welsh when he canā€™t! I also love the way the course is taught and builds up - I first came across it on Radio 2. Itā€™s rewarding to speak to Welsh friends too.

3 Likes

I find this strangely amusing, because when youā€™re trying to learn, sometimes it feels like your brain is dying. :joy:

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I spend a lot of time in Machynlleth and it seems rude not to at least try to speak some Welsh.

5 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker so that I can sing my children to sleep in welsh (I really want to sing them Suo-Gan) and so that I can properly sing and understand the national anthem at rugby games.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have a Welsh name!

1 Like

I can understand that. Although born and raised in England, Iā€˜ve always ā€˜felt Welshā€™, so being able to speak the language will give me a stronger connection to my ancestors.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because Iā€™ve been fascinated by Wales and all things Welsh since I read ā€œHow Green Was My Valleyā€ as a teenager (roughly 45 years ago). There was no really helpful Welsh instruction available as I live in southern California! Thenā€“behold, the Internet and SSiW! :star_struck:

Thereā€™s not much chance Iā€™ll be using it in southern California, so the language itself must be my reward.

5 Likes

Hi @nancy, and welcome! I live in northern California and I have found a couple of people to practice with up here in the Sacramento area, so you never know! I am going to be walking in the park and practicing my Welsh with someone next weekend. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes me too sadly

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my family is Welsh and unfortunately never had the chance to learn in, I want to learn Welsh to make my dad proud, and I hope my grandparents would be proud to see my trying if they were still here

4 Likes