'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I decided to learn because when I visited Wales I could understand signs like “Araf” and “Dim Parcio” but everything else was totally incomprehensible. Its so different to other languages. I thought it would be great to learn it and to help keep it alive. Also, to keep my brain active and one day I might also like to live in Wales. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Ellen-3 I have similar aims, I wish I had learned sooner and been able to chat to my grandparents in their first language. All the best on your journey to become a welsh speaker.

2 Likes

I want to learn Welsh because I want to undo the injustice of my school days when it was treated as a foreign language. Iwant to return to Wales and intergrate with the community once more.

4 Likes

I live in Arizona and have found two Welsh speakers in Tucson. You’d be surprised where they show up!

3 Likes

I’d like to be able speak Welsh with people in Wales :slight_smile: oh, and be able to read Welsh, eventually…

4 Likes

I am Irish too, Mick, but live in North Wales. Welsh is such an amazing language. I want to speak it out of respect for the culture and the wonderful people, and especially to restore it to its rightful position after the harm inflicted on the country by the English.

3 Likes

I want to be able to immerse myself in the language I “lost” at the age of 3 when we moved away. I want to be able to converse with my aunts, uncles, cousins and their kids in our language without having to get everybody to converse in English just so I can understand. I’m proud to be Welsh and don’t want to be on the sidelines any more when it comes to speaking and understanding the language.

5 Likes

I want to be able to speak the language of the country of my birth and converse with my daughter who’s fluent.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker as I’m lucky enough to have moved to live in mid Wales.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to understand the people of my adopted homeland, both literally and culturally. I imagine going to see my Doctor (who encouraged me to learn) and speaking to him in Cymraeg!

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to reclaim the language I was not taught as a child and speak Welsh to my family when I visit Wales!

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it’s the language of my home country, because it keeps me in touch with home even though I’m exiled in Essex, and because it’s beautiful!

4 Likes

I really want to be a Welsh speaker so I can support my children, one has just started nursery at a Welsh medium school and the others 11 months so the more I can learn to help them the better!

3 Likes

I want to learn Welsh to make my mother proud, to honour my heritage and to achieve something totally for myself.

4 Likes

I live in Wales, I love the poetry of the countryside and in the hearts of Welsh people, I am half Welsh and finally because I surmounted the challenge of lesson 7 challenge one and now it seems a bit like I’m rollercoasting downhill. I’m waiting for the next steep challenge, though I have to say that lessons 11 and 12 don’t seem as bad as I had thought they might be. Am I in for a shock?

3 Likes

Crumbs! I’m really struggling with 11… maye I’m slacking on the effort I was putting in to start with!

Oh, and I really want to learn Welsh because I’ve lived here for over 10 years now and I can’t imagine living in any other country and not learning the language .

4 Likes

I was born and brought up in S.Wales valleys but have spent half my 50+ years living overseas. I always regretted not learning Welsh when I was growing up. So upon my recent return I was determined to dive head first back into this wonderful country and culture. I have lived in many parts of the world and I can say that Wales is very very special. Work now around the West Wales area and there’s nothing I want more than to be able to converse with people in our own true language.

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve just done eleven in more detail, all this business of “a man”, “the man,” “A man is” etc, takes a bit of getting your head round. I’m on the third listen now and it’s just beginning to make a bit of sense, x

1 Like

because I want to be able to speak welsh with my wife (who is a fluent welsh speaker) and in time, our first Child, who is due on Christmas Eve ! :smile:

6 Likes