'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I’ve always wanted to be able to speak Welsh. I have a GCSE and I’ve tried twice to learn using a Myneiad course book and before that teach yourself. I tried the old course in my 20s or late teens but didn’t stick with it. Trying again now and hopefully I will succeed. It would be nice to watch the next series of Un Bore Mercher and not Keeping Faith the English version

4 Likes

The dragon sunk it’s teeth into me ever since I first heard Welsh several years ago. I would also like to add another Celtic language. According to the contact I signed that should happen March 1st 2020!

I have a dream of visiting Scotland, Wales and Ireland and only speaking in their respective native languages. Maybe by the time I am comfortably conversational in Welsh, SSiIrish will be ready!

4 Likes

I came to Wales for study, and though circumstance i’m now back working there. I have no ties to Wales, but like it here and would like to make Welsh my fourth language / make it to the end of the 52 week course at least.

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I recently found I have a ( treatable) tumour and want to distract from the challenges ahead.

6 Likes

Both actually, although I haven’t lived in England since I was 19 - and I’m now 72. Fortunately that means that despite this Brexit fiasco I can still remain a member of the EU, which is the most important thing as far as my family is concerned (German wife and two sons in their twenties).

In a small sleepy town just south of Munich, in beautiful Bavaria.

Thanks for the encouraging comments. And the best of luck with your studies.
David G.

2 Likes

I want to be able to speak Welsh with my Welsh friends.

4 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because I believe in learning to speak the language of the country you live in. And I LOVE wales :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

6 Likes

Me too!

2 Likes

Is this how to post a comment? Just ‘reply’?

Two grandchildren starting the Welsh language path. Enough I think.

4 Likes

Exactly the same reason I started a frw years back…
Just finishing level 2 did the 6 month course its awesome

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker simply because I love North Wales and everything about the place.

5 Likes

I want to be able to communicate with my little boy in the language he will be learning in school. And the people around me.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to communicate better with those around me.

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it’s my dream to live in Cardiff one day. If I’m going to live there, I feel like I should know the culture as much as possible.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to live and work in Wales, fully immersed in (my own too as a part Welsh man) the Welsh culture and heritage.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to continue the journey I started 19 years ago at Coleg Harlech (sadly no longer with us). Since then I forgot most of what I’d learned until I discovered SSiW and started a Welsh group in the local (Swindon) U3A 4 years ago. We all love the language in the group and have many reasons for wanting to learn/revisit it, but, oh dear, we are still conversing in Saesneg most of the time at our meetings! I am hoping to change that!

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because two of my grandchildren are going to Welsh medium schools and I want to help them with their schoolwork.

6 Likes

When I am a Welsh speaker I will be able to chat easily with friends and family in Welsh and help my grandchildren feel settled in school.

3 Likes

I went to Coleg Harlech too, just before you - I was there in 1998/9! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wanted to be a Welsh-speaker because I don’t like living in a country and not speaking the language.
Now I’m adding that I feel I’m missing out on a huge part of living in Wales until I can speak Welsh.

4 Likes