'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

It will! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I want to become more proficient in Welsh simply because it may help silence the many Saeson who ask me why anyone would want to speak Welsh! Apart from the obvious responses about culture, nationality, and the nearly 1 million who do, does anyone have a better response?

4 Likes

Thatā€™s great. Iā€™m with you. My great-great grandparents were Welsh speakers who came to the coal fields of Pennsylvania from the coal fields of South Wales. Learning Welsh is my way of connecting with them.

Congratulations, gallet ti siarad Cymraeg nawr!

6 Likes

Well, you could try another tack which might get them thinkingā€¦

Tell them ā€œbecause itā€™s a way into a parallel universeā€. (Which isnā€™t really too far off the mark anyway! :wink: )

Or ā€œbecause you donā€™t know whatā€™s behind a door until you open it, and the Welsh door looked interestingā€. (Because of the big red dragon door knocker, no doubt! :wink: )

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it is a unique way to honor my Welsh heritage and ancestors, and to bring the Welsh culture alive for my own children.

8 Likes

I want to be a speaker of Cymraeg for many reasons! I love languages, am fluent in Spanish and used to speak French and German too. As a child living in Connemara for a short time, I learned some Irish at school. Now the language I am geographically closest to, other than English, is Cymraeg and it seems disrespectful, in a way, not to make an attempt to learn it. As far as I know I am English through and through, and becoming a speaker of Cymraeg feels like a way to ally myself with a people who, to put it mildly, have not been well treated by the English ruling classes throughout history. I believe that all indigenous languages, particularly those that have been suppressed by another dominant culture, need to be protected and kept alive and if Iā€™m contributing to that even in a small way, that feels important. I would love to be able to learn Irish, Cornish and Scots Gaelic as well at some point (might need another lifetime or two!), but another reason I chose Cymraeg is because I understand that itā€™s the oldest of the indigenous British languages and Iā€™m fascinated by its history and mythology. It feels like learning the language will open up new pathways into understanding all that. Plus I love the sound of it!

Some things I would love to happen when I am a speaker of Cymraeg include being able to understand and pronounce public signs when I visit; being able to have a conversation in Cymraeg, in Cymru, if I ever pluck up the courage; and, probably not for another 20 years or so at least, but having a good enough understanding to be able to read some of the ancient literature of Cymru in the original.

11 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my boyfriend is Welsh and I wish to work in Wales museums in the future.
The one thing I hope will happen when I am a Welsh speaker is that I will feel more proud of myself.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because Iā€™d like to be able to sing the anthem at Rugby matches and know Iā€™m singing it correctly!

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a similar reason to me, funnily enough Iā€™m only trying to learn Welsh properly having moved away from Wales. Good luck!

3 Likes

ā€¦ because I love to hear the Welsh language spoken and I donā€™t want it to become extinct!

7 Likes

Iā€™m having a flashback to the taster course. Hearing @aranā€™s voice saying, ā€œI want to learn to speak Welsh because I love Wales and I want the Welsh language to continue.ā€ :joy:

4 Likes

Prynhawn Da

I want to be a Welsh Speaker because it was my fatherā€™s first language and would be a great testament to his memory if I could become fluent too.
:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Entirely unintentional brainwashing right thereā€¦ :wink: :joy:

2 Likes

I want to make my daughter fall off her chair when I speak some Welsh to her (she does not know I am learning!)

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am English, I visit Wales fairly frequently and I wanted to learn another British language :slight_smile:

I want to be able to go to Wales and surprise my friends by being able to speak Welsh!

Dw iā€™n mwynhau dysgu Cymraeg!

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because Iā€™m proud of my heritage and now Iā€™m back in Cardiff I think itā€™s about bloody time I learned it! I hope when I speak Welsh with fluent speakers, they will be kind and see that Iā€™m trying.

5 Likes

I like languages and I have always been fascinated by Welsh, even more so now that we actually live in the UK (albeit in Lloegr rather than Cymru); plus now my daughter is studying at Cardiff University which means we go to Wales more often than ever.

5 Likes

I visit North Wales regularly and spend time there. Iā€™ll never be Welsh but I can respect the language and culture.

7 Likes

I felt a bit sad reading this, because Iā€™ve always secretly thought that by learning Welsh, I would become Welsh one day. If thatā€™s not the case, my only hope is that some kind Welsh family will adopt meā€¦

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my grandparents spoke it and I think itā€™s one of the best ways to connect more with Welsh culture. Also, I think itā€™s beautiful and I enjoy speaking it.

6 Likes