'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

Oh, and I forgot to say that dw i isio dysgu siarad Cymraeg achos dw i’n caru Cymru, from the three short visits I have made, and from all I’ve learned talking with the tutors we work with each summer, who are so passionate about their language and culture!

3 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker becasue I am welsh and it should be my first language also it was my Taid in Deganwy’s first language and it would make him proud if he was here today.

…and when I am a welsh speaker I will enjoy speaking welsh at every opportunity :smiley:

4 Likes

I want to impress people at work and speak with kids and people in the community!

4 Likes

I have been attempting to learn Welsh for many years. I hope to finally become a Welsh speaker following this course. I want to be able to speak Welsh to keep the language alive and be able to converse with locals.

5 Likes

…because something inside me comes alive! (Unfortunately it’s not my ability to remember!) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It seems that when I start a challenge, the clueless part of me comes alive. Things I’d normally remember suddenly vanish from my brain. :joy:

Hi, I’m Jayne. I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to have a conversation in my home language and I promised myself that when I reached a certain age I would take Welsh lessons!

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because of two reasons. 1) My grandmother always bought me books to learn welsh when I was small and I think it would be honouring her to be able to speak it.
2) to see the look on my dads mates faces when I join in the middle of their welsh conversation one day at the rugby.

4 Likes

I know that one :joy:

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it was my grandfather’s language, and my father’s when he was young, and now my granddaughter is at a Welsh school and I want to read her books with her. Thank you SSiW for giving me the chance even though I live in England.

3 Likes

I was born raised in a village in Mid-Wales , as a child I heard a lot of welsh (and Old Shropshire Slang ) it was banned in early primary “English speaking teacher” and i always felt i missed out

But the Final Decision was made as i recently worked on a building site near Lampeter , and i started to recover bits of welsh i never knew i had. I was also encouraged and nudged to speak it by a couple of the local lads , which was suprize as its not something I had experianced before

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’d like to respond back to customers at work who ask me if I speak Welsh and I have to say just a little.
It would change my life by, making me feel proud of myself because i find learning languages difficult and hopefully I will become a Welsh speaker. I live on the beautiful island of Anglesey and to be able to converse to Welsh ,will mean a great deal to me.:slight_smile:

5 Likes

It will change mine and my family’s life :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have so many Welsh friends and want to be able to join in their conversations and also to enjoy watching/listening to S4C.

4 Likes

… I love Wales and the Welsh culture. I have many Welsh friends and work colleagues. As part of my work I visit Welsh people in their homes and would dearly love to be able to converse with them in their own language instead of asking them to change to another. I love hiking in the Carneddau and would feel a greater affinity with those who farm up there if I could speak Welsh.

3 Likes

It’s on my bucket list and also most people were I work speak Welsh so it’s about time I got on with it

4 Likes

I think the Welsh language is beautiful, and im gutted that I can’t speak it despite growing up in Wales. Everyone where I live in England is surprised that I can’t speak my own language. Two years ago I took my family to the royal Welsh show and my son asked me what an announcement said. I had to explain that I didn’t know because I don’t speak Welsh. I really want to speak Welsh!!

5 Likes

I come from Llanfairfechan but have forgotten most of the welsh I learned as a child. I now work for a welsh speaking company and deal with first language welsh speakers on a daily basis so want to speak in welsh with them

5 Likes

Hi, I’m new here!

I suspect that deep down the reason I’d like to learn is for complicated reasons to do with identity and feelings of belonging. I was born in Wales and grew up there, but I don’t sound Welsh and haven’t lived there since I was 18. So I think ‘for a deeper feeling of Welshness’ is probably one reason.

And also because it sounds so beautiful, and since starting, this experience has reminded me how much I enjoy learning languages.

And finally, because I love to sing, and I’d love to have the courage one day to sing a Welsh song in public (at a folk night maybe). #postlockdowngoals

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I live in a Welsh speaking area and have a lot of Welsh speaking friends to whom I would love to be able to converse fluently. My goal will be when this has been accomplished - Therese

6 Likes