'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to speak my mam iaith. Even tho my mam died years ago, it makes me feel closer to her. Specially when doing the challenges whilst digging and planting on the allotement - her favourite place.

4 Likes

I am glad to hear you have found SSiW ! The tutors are so patient, friendly and clear in their explanations. I wonder where you are from in Wales. It will be good meet you.

John Lloyd (Sion Llwyd)

1 Like

Having read several hundred statements to try to find my initial one (to complete challenge 20 Level 2) and not finding it, I hope you donā€™t mind me stealing one which I resonate with the most: Welsh is in my blood!
Welsh is in my :heart:!
Now I need it to come out of my mouth!

Also I want to be proud to speak my own language that was stolen from my ancestors.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I would like to have the deepest possible understanding of my ancestorsā€™ native culture, and also to ward off brain-rot now that Iā€™m no longer working or in full-time studyā€¦

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker to prove to myself I can do it. I live in Cwmbran- and know very few Welsh speakers, but I can see the language is growing in my area.

Iā€™m going to the Machynlleth Comedy Festival in 2021- I would love to be able to watch a comedian do a show in Welsh and be able to laugh at the jokes :slight_smile: Thatā€™s my aim for the next 12 months :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker to talk to family and help with communication at work. I hope it will help me know that I can rise to a challenge.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker becauseā€¦ I have lived in Wales for most of my life and I want to embrace it more fully and make the most of the Welsh culture that is all around me!

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to connect with my Welsh heritage and show off to my Australian relatives

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I long to communicate with all my Welsh speaking friends around here. I love the language and culture. Although I can now begin to understand bits, and also say a few small things, it is still very limited - also I need more confidence. My brain doesnā€™t seem to absorb the way it used to. I am now senior and for anything to really sink in has to be done time and time again, repetition. Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not alone here! - Therese

7 Likes

I donā€™t really know why I want to learn welsh ! I am not aware of any connection or ancestry but I have a definite love of the country, had hoped to move there but that is unlikely to happen. I donā€™t like not understanding what people are saying, and I have been to a few places where folk have started speaking welsh and I have felt really uncomfortable. So, I guess they are my reasons, so I can understand what people are saying ( well eventually !!) and feel more comfortable:)

3 Likes

Again similar, I want to learn Welsh as also my Grandfather spoke Welsh married my Gran (English Lady). He only spoke to his friends in Welsh, he had 5 children with my Gran and none of us in the family can speak Welsh. Not really my Grandparents fault just I think this has happened over the years for many reasons in Wales.
I moved out of Wales twice and come back, why? I was so home sick! Welsh people are lovely!
Anyway I want to speak Welsh and immerse myself in its culture so I can truly feel Welsh. Steph

4 Likes

I want to learn welsh as my grandparents and older aunts and uncles were welsh first language. Sadly they felt that I would have a greater chance in life if I only spoke english!! My own children attended welsh medium schools and I have promised myself that I would one day be able to fully immerse myself in my own culture. I look forward to the day when I am able to hold a prolonged welsh conversation with my own children and local community.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I sing with a Welsh male voice choir and I want to understand what I am singing and to be able to understand some of the conversation. My maternal Grandfather was a native Welsh speaker but died when I was a small child and although I was taught how to count to 10, very little Welsh was passed down to me as a child and in reality would have been little use at that time, as I lived in Scotland.

5 Likes

Because I want o be able to speak to my 99yr old Mam in her native language and make her proudā€¦unfortunately in her era like many others welsh ended up not really spoken at home and only given 1/2hr in school so want to make the most of it with her now so we can enjoy it together :slight_smile:

5 Likes

A really wonderful reason to learn another language - definitely one of the reasons why I wanted to learn!

2 Likes

I have Welsh friends and would like to be able to speak to them in their language, plus itā€™s a beautiful language.

4 Likes

Iā€™m an actor. Iā€™ve worked on set where the crew and actors around me are switching between English and Welsh with effortless ease. I think thatā€™s a glorious thing and Iā€™d like to join in. Sometimes Iā€™m asked to work in Welsh and lā€™d like to be able to do that with confidence.

I worked in Switzerland shooting a commercial once and the team would switch between German, French, Italian and English as if it were the most natural thing to be multilingual. I love that. It should be that way here too.

My Paternal Grandfather was a native Welsh speaker but stopped speaking it. The language was lost in our family. That is terribly sad. Itā€™s time to reclaim it.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because Iā€™ve lived in Wales for most of my life and never managed it, and it doesnā€™t feel right to not speak the language. Also Iā€™m trying to keep my brain functioning!

The change that Iā€™m hoping for is that I can prove to myself that Iā€™m still capable of learning and that Iā€™ll no longer need to say ā€œSorry, I donā€™tā€ in response to ā€œSiarad Cymraeg?ā€

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to have conversations with the local people where I live now in Ceredigion, in Welsh.

I grew up in Cardiff and learnt some Welsh at school, then spent some years abroad (where I learnt some Indonesian) and then my kids went to a Welsh medium school in Newport (Pembs) for a couple of years before we moved to England for husbandā€™s work. I tried to learn again then but none of the Welsh I learned before made me a Welsh speaker.

Living in Wales again I want to make the leap from understanding a bit to actually speaking it. This course is making me start to ā€˜thinkā€™ in Welsh and Iā€™ve now had my first - very short - conversation!

Also I live in the next village to Tresaith where you hold some of your courses so hoping once lockdown is over I can visit one.

6 Likes

I want to read in Welsh and understand the poetry of the language.

5 Likes