SSi Forum

'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

As I now live in Wales I feel it’s only right i should learn the native language and integrate more into the local community and, anyway, mae’n diddorol

I’ve lived in Wales for nearly five years now and am impressed by the culture and determination to make the country and language flourish. I’m also a little jealous when i hear the Welsh conversations that i can’t take part in. I’m looking forward to having a “proper” chat with the lovely lady in our local Welsh shop, once i have a little more Welsh up my sleeve!

My family live in The Valleys and I miss them and I want to feel a part of our land…

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to speak to my partner in her first language.

I have Welsh speaking family and aside from surprising them with my knowledge, I feel that knowing a country’s language opens up the culture (and is generally a polite way to inhabit a place).

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have several Welsh speaking friends, locally.
[I can’t say this in Welsh yet - [ Alla’ i ddim yn dweud e yn Gymraig eto]]

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to speak to my Welah speaking friends in Welsh. I don’t want them to switch to English for me. I always feel embarrassed when this happens in work. I want another window on the world, the world on my doorstep. I want to restore the language line in my family and cement my Welsh identity.
I know my Welsh speaking friends are proud of me starting this journey and I don’t want to let them down!

I’m hoping to move to Wales and want to be able to have conversations in the community and feel like I properly fit in!
One thing I’m hoping will happen when I’m a Welsh speaker is that I’ll be able to go into the council offices and have a conversation without having to use any English.

I live in Wales and would like to immerse myself in Welsh culture

I want to become a welsh speaker because I am Welsh and want to speak the language of my country.

as a proud Welshman I believe I should speak Welsh

I’ve lived in Wales for 40 years so it’s about time!

I want to be a welsh speaker because I want to be able to understand and communicate in the reality I live in

Re: Soundcloud @gillian-parker - Deborah posted this on Slack recently:

If you’ve been having a problem using SoundCloud for any of the recording tasks, you’ll be pleased to know that our developers are currently testing a new, in-house recording method that should work much better for us.
So if you’re on a SoundCloud task and struggling with it, just leave it. Go through the steps of the task itself, but don’t try the recording part. We’ll announce when it’s ready.

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it’s part of my heritage. Having Welsh ancestry with a Canadian accent and living in London is a bit odd!
I hope that I can learn well enough to speak to my godmother’s family in Aberaeron, and to speak Welsh with any children I might have.

……………I want to be able to hold a conversation in Welsh with the people I grew up with in the village of Llansilin, where I was born and brought up.

I want to to be a Welsh speaker because I now live in Wales and want to be able to feel properly at home here!

I didn’t know my dad spoke/understood Welsh until a couple of years ago (he’s in his 80s). His family were very poor, and it was seen as as a signpost of being ‘of low class’. I’ve recently looked at my family tree and there’s a whole lot of Welsh in there! (My grandad was called Morgan Llewelyn Jones, which should have been a clue). Anyway, I’d like to be able to talk to him in Welsh at least once!

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to go to Wales and have a conversation in Welsh in a pub. I hope to impress people that not all Americans are narrow-minded.

I want to become a Welsh speaker because it is our native language and I don’t ever want it to die out!