'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to understand what people around me are saying and even join in, watch Welsh TV programmes and listen to radio. I am hoping that I will really feel part of my community when I can.

7 Likes

To be able to speak the language of my Grandmother

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have always felt it to be a part of me (Welsh speaking grandma who never passed on the language :cry:) and I am so proud of being Welsh! I will be so happy to be able to speak Welsh in work!

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because the Welsh language has mattered to me ever since I moved to Cardiff from Manchester when I was ten. I have spent most of my adult life out of Wales and have not a drop of Welsh blood, but I still feel Welsh and am moving back to Wales this year, lockdown permitting.

And I have friends who will love to speak Welsh with me.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because Wales is my adopted home and I should be able to speak its language. as a twmpath ā€œcallerā€ I will be able to teach the dances in Welsh as well as in English.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I would feel proud of myself and would get a lot of enjoyment from speaking Welsh.

Friends would be impressed that I have achieved this.

6 Likes

ā€¦because I was denied the chance to speak my native language as a child.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my girlfriend is from North Wales, her whole family speaks Welsh. They switch to English when Iā€™m there but I feel guilty about it, so I hope that soon I would be able to have a full conversation with her and her family in Welsh. (And Iā€™m originally from France :slight_smile: )

6 Likes

Dwi isio siarad Cymraeg achos maeā€™n ddiddorol. Dw iā€™n dwĆ¢d o OileĆ”n ThoraĆ­ / Tory Island yn Iwerddon. Dw iā€™n siarad Gaeilge yma a dw iā€™n ddalt GĆ idhlig na hAlban hefyd.

Dw iā€™n licio Say Something. Diolch!

Aidan Mc Ginley

5 Likes

I wanted to speak Welsh because I love the country and its history. I am from England but I have lived in Wales for over 25 years. I started reading Welsh mythology a few years ago and I really wanted to learn how to pronounce all the Welsh names, and thought there was no better way than to learn the language.

6 Likes

Itā€™s a wonderful indigenous language of our islands through which I can build confidence and improve my thought processes, as well as impressing my Welsh family members, some of whom canā€™t even speak it themselves!

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I live in Wales and respect the language.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am Welsh and I live in Wales. I love my culture and heritage and I want to teach my children Welsh. I want our beautiful language to prosper.

5 Likes

I want to learn Welsh to because I live in Wales.

I hope that people will be patient.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it is the native tongue of the country I moved to from Germany in 1985. Wales is my home now, so I hope to become able to communicate with native Welsh speakers in their mother tongue eventually. I am retired now and, long overdue, I want to make the time to learn this beautiful language and keep my grey cells active. It is also my attempt to say thank you to my adopted home.

6 Likes

Because itā€™s something I should have done long ago.
If I succeed I look forward to speaking Welsh with my grandchildren & my friends from West Wales.

5 Likes

Also because I should being born and raised in Pembrokeshire. Not a Welsh speaking town sadly and can only remember counting and telling time from gcse in school. Hoping to master it and get my children also speaking it and then use it locally. And learning with ssiw makes it enjoyable as well. Hwyl ffrindiau.

6 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because itā€™s embarrassing not being able to sing the national anthem at rugby matches.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I come from a family of Welsh speakers (on my mothers side) and have always wanted to be able to speak it myself . I now hope to be able to converse with friends in my native tongue

6 Likes

I am a Scarlets season ticket holder and I want to be able to understand what people are talking about around me and I also want to be able to sing the Welsh National Anthem (and other rugby songs) and understand what Iā€™m singing about. (sorry, that was 2 things!)

I hope I will feel part of a wider Welsh culture if I can speak the language with other Welsh speakers.

7 Likes