'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have lived in Wales for most of my life and am ashamed that I have never managed to speak the language which is so much a part of our culture.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I feel disconnected to the land I inhabit. I grew up with Greek/ Egyptian myths and legends, not the legends of Britain (which are incredibly rich and varied). I want to be able to understand them in the language they were INTENDED to be heard/ written in because language and truly understanding go hand in hand.

5 Likes

Rydw i eisiau byw yng Nghymru. Mae angen i mi wella.

4 Likes

I live in a welsh speaking area and so would like to use Welsh in every day living

5 Likes

ā€œCymraeg dw i!ā€ You probably donā€™t write it like that, but Iā€™m trying to learn the spoken, vernacular Welsh of North Wales rather than the written more formal Welsh I learnt in school over 40 years ago!

One day I hope to be able to engage in fluent Welsh conversation with fellow Welsh speakers from the golf club and on the football supporters coach.

6 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because I want to be able to speak Welsh with the school groups I meet at work.

I hope to be able to speak with groups more confidently next spring.

5 Likes

I want to be able to speak in Welsh with my children who are all fluent Welsh speakers.

6 Likes

i so pleased to be able to say i can speak some welsh and know with your help i will be a welsh speaker soon

2 Likes

My family spoke Welsh until they moved to Cardiff in the 1940ā€™s where it was not encouraged and so the ability to speak it was not passed on to me.

4 Likes

Iā€™m the only one in my house who doesnt speak welsh and I would love to be able to converse with them in welsh on a daily basis

4 Likes

The reason I wrote what I did when I first joined SSiW is because I have lived on Ynys Mon for 30 + years and this is my home and I love it. Its about time i could speak Welsh to my welsh speaking friends so they dont feel they have to talk in english just for me. I will be so very proud of myself when this happens and I know my friends and family will be too.:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Dw i isio siarad cymraeg achos dwi gweithio mewn ysbyty cymru

3 Likes

My mum and dad always spoke Welsh but didnā€™t encourage us to. Now Iā€™ve moved to Wales, I would love to speak Welsh as it is part of my heritage.

5 Likes

After Trying to learn for 50 years and really getting nowhere, Iā€™m determined to succeed this time. Iā€™m proud to be Welsh and want to speak the language.

3 Likes

I work with children with learning disabilities and challenging behaviour. I want to be able to make that connection with the welsh speaking children in their own language instead of relying on a mixture of English/pigeon welsh/Makaton :heart:

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker as my daughter is in a Welsh school and I would love to be able to chat confidently in Welsh with her :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

ā€¦because it isnā€™t easy, because I like learning languages and because I find it interesting. I hope it will keep my brain in good nick a bit longer.

3 Likes

Hi Rachel, I have just finished challenge 15. I found the last few challengesā€¦ well a challenge. I am like you I also want to learn welsh so that I can speak welsh to my daughters who are in Welsh school. I also hope like @john-guy that by learning a language my brain will remain in good nick too!

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to feel more a part of the community. I hope I will get the joke and be able to join in the laughter.

3 Likes

I want to speak Welsh to be able to have whole conversations with my Welsh speaking grandchildren, my Dad was a fluent Welsh speaker but I somehow slipped through the net and never quite forgave him for it! :wink:

3 Likes