'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

Done it! Hope I’m posting this in the right place!!

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I grew up in Holyhead, Anglesey with a Welsh father and Irish mother and so never learned to speak more than a few words. I feel I’ve missed out on part of my heritage and identity and have been wanting to try and learn Welsh for a long time, so when I found the SSiWelsh site I thought I’d give it a go.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I don’t want my Welsh speaking friends to switch to English for me. It’s embarrassing. I want another window on the world, I’m Welsh but want to strengthen my Welsh identity. My Welsh speaking friends are being really encouraging and I don’t want to let them down.
The one thing I’m looking forward to when I can speak Welsh is making my friend Terry Bryer proud. I should have done it ages ago.

5 Likes

my family are from north Wales ( all 4 grandparents) and although I wasn’t born here, or brought up here, I’ve lived here so long that I feel welsh and I want to communicate in welsh. I have researched my family tree and found and met up with welsh speaking relatives - I would love to be able to chat to them in Welsh.

4 Likes

I want to learn to speak Welsh because it is an ancient and beautiful language and I live in Wales and love hearing it spoken.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker so that I can support my children through their own journey of the Welsh language through school. So we can have family conversations in welsh, and really be proud of being a bilingual family! Something I always wished I had as a child!

5 Likes

Because… I have taught in a primary school for ten years and would like to become more confident to speak Welsh incidentally throughout the day and support the children I teach :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would be very proud to be able to converse with family and friends and I’d love to be bilingual

5 Likes

I want the Welsh language to continue and I hope to be able to speak Welsh with confidence

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because we have moved to a Welsh speaking community and I want to maintain that tradition and culture. I am pleased that already I can talk about the weather etc, but want to do more!

6 Likes

I’m half Welsh and have several family who are Welsh speakers. I want to be able to speak with
them in Welsh.

5 Likes

I want to be Welsh speaker because my husband siarad Cymraeg cyntaf and my son is bilingual - I want to be able to join in the conversation

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because…I want to reconnect with my mother tongue and reclaim what was taken away.

And what’s ONE thing you hope will happen when you are a Welsh speaker? I’d like to walk into a Welsh speaking shop/venue or attend an event etc. and have a full conversation with someone in Welsh. That would be just awesome!

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to have a conversation with my Welsh family and friends in Welsh

3 Likes

Dw i isio siarad efo cymrys achos cymrys dw i. Hope thats correct.

3 Likes

maen ddrwg gen i I meant fel cymrys!

2 Likes

I am Welsh, I want to be able to chat in Welsh!

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I moved to Wales 4 years ago and would like to be able to converse with my Welsh speaking neighbours in their native tongue. Also would love to be able to sing and understand the Welsh Anthem

5 Likes

I’ve just caught up with the posts on this thread, and I’m bursting with pride in you all! You tell us what drove you to learn this language, your determination shines through, and your goals are clear and within reach - to reclaim your heritage, talk to your grandchildren or your neighbours, to work more effectively, or sing at a rugby match …

And this being SSiW, there’s no-one in sight to pour cold water on your dreams, and tell you Welsh is pointless or impossible, just a community of other learners willing you to succeed and ready to help.

Dal ati! (Keep going!) And if you’re ever passing Cricieth, get in touch, as I’m always up for a panad a sgwrs (cup of tea and a chat).

9 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because, my mother’s grand parents were from South Wales and learning the language is like connecting with them,

4 Likes