'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

Every year my friends come down from Bangor to watch the rugby with me in Cardiff. Next year I want to welcome them in Welsh.

5 Likes

I come from a family where my mothers side were all welsh speakers. Sadly they are all gone now. I donā€™t know why I was never taught Welsh at home as a child but at 66 I am hoping itā€™s not too late and I hope to be able to chat to my welsh speaking friends confidently soon.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker to help me feel closer to the Welsh community and not so much of an outsider.

2 Likes

Ever since I visited Wales as a child I felt so connected to Walesā€¦ There must be some Welsh blood in me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because the Welsh language has mattered to me since I moved to Wales aged ten. Fifty-five years ago, although Iā€™ve spent most of those years outside Wales.

And I have Welsh friends who will love to speak Welsh with me.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker so I can communicate better with my Mum, who is speaking far more Welsh than English due to dementia brought on by Alzheimerā€™s disease.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker for a silly reason really, that being I owned a Cardigan Welsh Corgi! Iā€™ve always loved the language though, and am having lots of fun learning. Iā€™ve travelled to UK several times, but not to Wales yet, and plan to one day, when itā€™s covid-19 safe.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I love Wales and the Welsh language .Hoffwn i siarad Cymraeg achos dw iā€™n caru Cymru, ei iaith ac ei ddiwilliant.

3 Likes

Hi,

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I feel like I was robbed of the opportunity to learn when I was young. My mum is Welsh and is a fluent Welsh speaker, but she says didnā€™t think to teach my brother and I as we lived in England when I was young. We moved to Wales when I was 11, but I went to a private school which did not teach Welsh in the normal curriculum. Plus I wasnā€™t really interested at that time. I now have two children and want to be able to help them with their school work plus many of my friends and colleagues are first language Welsh. Its time to join the conversation!

7 Likes

I want to be able to speak Welsh with Welsh friends.

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my grandchildren go to a Welsh school and i want to converse with them. When I have become more fluent I hope to hold conversations with my friends who have accepted me as honorary Welsh.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I think I will feel more a part of the community. One thing that I would love to happen is to go into the pub and understand the joke that everyone is laughing at without having to have it explained to me.

3 Likes

Thanks, Barbara! I donā€™t check the Forum often, but found your encouraging response just now. Iā€™ve allowed myself a break of a couple of weeks, after finishing Challenge #25, but Iā€™m getting myself ready to pick the lessons up again. Itā€™s a great challenge for my aging brain! Best to youā€¦

1 Like

I want to be a welsh speaker because nobody in my family has ever been able to to speak it, and itā€™s such a shame. I was born here, as were my parents, and my grandparents. Iā€™m hoping that I will be able to pass it on to my grandchildren at some point in the future ( no rush for that). As well as that, we go to Newport in Dyfed as often as we can, and I think itā€™s polite to speak to the locals in Welsh. I also enjoy learning languages for the fun of it.

4 Likes

I travel around Wales with my job and I would love to be able to siarad with my Welsh speaking colleagues.

3 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because although not born Welsh I was brought up in Llandovery S Wales by a non Welsh speaking Welsh Guardian . I am a potter now hoping to connect with potters in the welsh speaking community ā€¦they must be out there!

3 Likes

Because I have lived in Wales for over 20 years without doing so. I now have teenage aged grandchildren who are taught in the language, are fluent and like it. I will be better able to practise with them as well as my many Welsh friends

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker to exercise my old brain, to talk with my neighbours and to be able to produce all those wonderful sounds in the welsh language. :blush:

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I simply love the language and I love Wales. Itā€™s quite a challenge too!

2 Likes

Finishing Challenge 9 I see I need to add something here but I added my reasons to this page almost at the beginning of my journey with SSiw. This was to be able to have conversations in Welsh with my friends in the village who are all native Welsh speakers. However, I would also like to add that I have wanted to learn for over 40 years because ā€˜Dwā€™in caru Cymruā€™ and want this beautiful language to continue. Diolch!

4 Likes