'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

(Dw i wedi bod yn dysgu Cymraeg am pedwar mis nawr.)
Challenge un deg pum, step pedwar:

I want to be a Welsh Speaker because I hope to go to Wales. Originally I was planning for next year, but am pushing it back because of all the Stuff (you know, plague). I want to be able to help at the Eco Siop in Aberteifi and maybe plant some trees if I am there when they’re doing that. Also, I want to be able to read books in Cymraeg.

7 Likes

I lost my dad earlier this year, and learning the language is something that helps me to carry on feeling close to him.
He would be proud to know I’m doing it too (I had started just before he passed, and even though his powers were failing,he took great delight in correcting my very early attempts ;)).
Also, am planning to retire to Ynys Môn (one day!) and it would be nice to be fluent when that day finally comes around.

6 Likes

Wythnos deg and I’m facing exactly the same quandary. Perhaps we should add our aspirations for our Cymraeg-speaking future?
At present I have a customer-facing job and would like to offer our customers an option (Wyt ti isio siarad yn y Gymraeg?) on first contact. We cover the entire Gogledd Cymru area, including the iaith strongholds of Ynys Môn, Gwynedd and Meirionnydd so this is quite important.

5 Likes

I want to be part of the community when I spend time in West Wales.

1 Like

Or you could just greet them with “bore da!” (or which ever word is appropriate for the time of day). If they don’t speak Welsh they will let you know.

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because…it’s part of the culture I’ve left behind and a way to hold on to my Britishness.
But until you asked me to finish that sentence for the homework, I had no idea I felt that way!
I’ve lived in Germany for twenty years now and Brexit has effectively exiled me from my home country (I’m from Devon). I never planned to learn Welsh! I stumbled across your app when researching some Welsh phrases for a story I’m writing and got hooked. Now I can’t stop. Like the lady said below, it’s like being a member of a cool secret society. :slightly_smiling_face:

ONE thing I hope will happen when I’m a Welsh speaker: to understand the influence Welsh has had on the English language.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because we have moved to Wales and I want to be able to speak to people in their mother-tongue, and I hope to encourage the use of Welsh in our English-speaking church services.

4 Likes

I have lived in Wales for forty years and think it’s time to pluck up the courage and be able to speak Welsh! I would love to be able to converse with Welsh speaking friends and neighbours and am so grateful for this course and all its opportunities.

6 Likes

I have lived in Wales for 20 years & It has always felt like home; I recently discovered that I have Welsh ancestry & so to learn to speak Welsh would be the icing on the cake!

3 Likes

Although I was born in England, the son of a New Zealand father and a Scottish mother, I think maybe I was born with a draig goch fach in my heart. I have lived and worked all over the world but for the last 6 years have been blissfully settled in the incredibly beautiful Snowdonia and will hopefully spend the rest of my days there. I would love to be fluent in Welsh, as a personal challenge, as a gesture of respect to the people of Wales and to make a minuscule effort to help keep a beautiful and ancient language alive.

7 Likes

I want to become a Welsh speaker so that I don’t have to speak English whenever I visit Wales.

3 Likes

I want to speak Welsh, because I work in Cardiff, and talk to people from across South Wales on a fairly regular basis through work, and would love to experience more of the culture. By learning Welsh, I will proudly be doing my part to keep the language alive! (With even my knowledge so far, place names are becoming a lot easier to pronounce!)

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I think learning languages is a fun way to keep your brain active and I liked how this course was set out. Plus I have a house in Wales and it is wonderful hearing all those people (especially children) speaking Welsh. So I thought I’d try and so far I am really enjoying it!

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it’s a beautiful language from a beautiful place, it’s honouring my ancestors and I want to live in Wales one day.

What it will change is that as a discipline/accomplishment it will prove to me that I can still really exercise my mind and become expert at something new.

3 Likes

For Challenge 9: I want to be a Welsh speaker to increase my connection with Wales. I look forward to getting a surprised smile from a Welsh speaker in Wales one day!

4 Likes

Dw i eisiau dygu siarad Cymraeg achos dw i eisau siarad efo ffrindiau mewn eu mam iaith.

4 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because my boyfriend and all his family and friends are first language welsh. I want to be able to understand what they’re saying and join in the conversations without them having to translate everything into English for me.

3 Likes

Sorry this isn’t a sentence long answer but I can’t shorten what learning Welsh means to me. Two generations ago my family were fluent Welsh speakers. For various reasons my parents never learnt Welsh fluently, coupling this with my own struggles at learning any language, I never gave this side of my education the time or respect it deserved. Since moving away from Wales I’ve come to learn what a special heritage we have and one that I’ve only come to really appreciate with hindsight. It makes me sad that my daughter will grow up not learning the Welsh songs and dances I enjoyed doing at school. I want to learn Welsh to gain back what was lost to my parents to give to my daughter. If I have to sum it up into one sentence I guess it could be I want to be a Welsh speaker because… I got the hiraeth bad!!

9 Likes

I want to speak Welsh so that when I’m helping my neighbours pack fleeces,. I can join in the conversation.

3 Likes

… I grew up in Wales and heard my Nanna say the odd word and phrase, which made me think she may have spoken Welsh as a little girl. Now is my time! My, memory is shot, but I am still enjoying myself! [quote=“aran, post:1, topic:10504, full:true”]
What’s your WHY?

How would you finish the sentence ‘I want to be a Welsh speaker because…’?

Just ONE sentence…

I want to be a Welsh speaker because…

And what’s ONE thing you hope will happen when you are a Welsh speaker?
I shall be able to speak to my son’s girlfriend!

4 Likes