'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

Born in Wales, lived in Wales, worked in Wales. But going not too far back, Welsh, English and Irish grandparents - always handy to have some other allegiances when it comes to rugby, well the Irish side anyway - so I feel Welsh but not properly Welsh. Learning the language will help me reinforce my Welsh identity and it’s something I’ve always wanted to do.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to feel truly part of my Welsh culture and heritage

3 Likes

because I am Welsh and I want to learn the language both my grandfathers spoke; it’s as simple as that, with a bit of national pride thrown in, I suppose. “Cymru am byth” was something I learnt at junior school a long, long time ago.

4 Likes

I lived in Wales for a few years, had family there and still visit regularly. It’s nice to give something back to all the friends I made over the years. It really helps to fit in and it was great to see how happy they were that I’d learned even a little bit. The lady in my favourite chippy even bunged me a few more chips, so it’s worth every minute of effort.

7 Likes

…my father spoke Welsh as a child but lost it through his life. I want to reverse that for me!

6 Likes

… it is a challenge, and I want to join in with friends and colleagues who speak Welsh, but also be able to talk to patients in their language of choice. Os galla’i :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I wasn’t able to learn my own language growing up and going to a school in Wales. Sounds crazy, but true. Even my own mother grew up in a Welsh speaking environment but never spoke a word. It’s time for me to become rounded and to proudly speak my natural tongue. Very excited, really happy to have this marvellous opportunity. What an amazing tool SSiW is. Diolch yn fawr.

7 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker so that I can converse with colleagues in welsh and attend professional meetings and not feel uncomfortable being the only person not speaking the language.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it is the language of my Fathers and I want to speak it with my Son.

When my Son hears me speaking Welsh, he will ask me to help him with his homework (he goes to a Welsh school)

5 Likes

I want to help keep the language alive and I want to speak with Welsh people

3 Likes

…I want to be able to understand what’s going on when my daughters (currently 2.5 and 10 months) start going to Welsh-medium school

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker purely for selfish reasons. I am lucky in that we have a small holiday home in Llandderfel and for the last 10 years have met and made such wonderful friends with the locals. So it’s about time I started joining in with welsh. I love it that I can now speak a little welsh as only been on the course for 10 weeks but I’m having great fun practising with my welsh friends and they are very supportive and encouraging :slight_smile:. I love it

3 Likes

Although I was born in England, I grew up in Wales. However, the Welsh language wasn’t taught when I was at school. I moved back to Wales to raise my children several years ago. I love living here, and really feel that I wanted to challenge myself to learn the language. I’m hoping to be able to watch Welsh tv and understand it!

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker to enhance my future studies in Linguistics. Really, all I hope for is for my dad to give me a high five for doing it.:joy:

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I now live in Wales and it will help me feel more a part of the community and also, i just love the language!

6 Likes

I want to be able to help the children in my school learn more Welsh, so that they can start to communicate with each other in Welsh.

4 Likes

I want to be able to converse in Welsh with my Welsh speaker friends

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I love Wales, its language and its culture.

6 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because I love the language - I’ve grown up in wales and have had opportunities to work in areas where welsh was predominantly spoken - at this time I was taking welsh classes. Unfortunately as I started working closer to the English border I found myself not being able to practice with people which in turn stopped me from having the motivation to learn. Since having my little boy, I am determined to learn welsh so that when he goes to a welsh primary school, I’ll be able to converse and help him!

5 Likes

I’m an American of German, English, and French descent, with no Welsh ancestors that I know of. However, I was born and raised in Madison, Wisconsin, near the magical Wyoming Valley of the Wisconsin River. That’s where immigrant Welsh miners settled in the mid-19th century, around Mineral Point, Wisconsin. For those unfamiliar with that part of the U.S., it’s a hilly, wooded area that was missed by the glacier that flattened much of the upper Midwest U.S. The most famous son of the valley is the great architect Frank Lloyd Wright, who had his studio, Taliesin, there.

I’ve always been fascinated by the culture and language but never had a chance to learn to speak Welsh until the advent of online courses such as Say Something. I want to be a Welsh speaker to understand the culture and literature of Wales, to be able to talk to people when I visit, and to help keep an ancient and beautiful language alive.

6 Likes