Iaith ar Daith Series 2 - Discussion/Questions/Feedback

Thanks for the link, David, that’s definitely useful.
Greetings from Ulm
Fay

I have a video of Scott Quinnell being very rude about that jumper… :wink: :joy:

1 Like

Hwrê!!! They’re back tomorrow!!! :slight_smile: Friday 15 April

4 Likes

Yay, thanks @Cetra! I saw an advert for this on S4C earlier this evening but didn’t understand enough to get what was happening - I want to watch this!

1 Like

I really enjoyed all the episodes of Iaith ar Daith this year (and last year as well).
They were all great, but Rakie stands out for me because she was so joyful. The amount of laughter in that episode was just wonderful.

There was something that Joanna Scanlan said in her episode which resonated for me and helped me understand why I’m so drawn to learning Welsh. Joanna moved to Wales when she was young and said that she thinks of herself as Welsh and that she has ‘lived a Welsh life’. She said, ‘When I hear the language I feel restful’.

I was born in Wales and grew up there but, like Joanna, I don’t have a Welsh accent; but when I hear a Welsh accent or the Welsh language the sound of it is restful to me. It is home, even though I don’t have that sound of home in my own voice.

I like the way that sometimes the back stories/experiences of the participants and their feelings about Welshness often shed light on the nuances of identity. And where and what home is.

4 Likes

Can anyone tell me why I keep getting an error message when I try and start Her Iaith ar Daith? I’m logged in but nothing works.

What does the error message say? If it’s S4CP04, it means you have an ad blocker or extension on your browser. If it’s Firefox you need to turn off enhanced protection.

I find that Google Chrome works way better to play the content on S4C. I usually use Firefox and had an error message all the time.

Thank so much for this. I loved seeing Kiri. What she says chimes in so much with my history. I was born and raised in Llangollen and some of my family are fluent. Sadly, a combination of lack of application and hitting a period of class size explosion I completely got lost in learning. I no longer live in Wales but as I keep in touch with family I try to learn. I’ve made a couple of previous attempts here on SSi but struggle with self-discipline. But seeing Kiri has spurred me to start again.
Thank you Aran for your support and encouragement. I hope to get the courage to chat in Welsh before too long.
All good wishes,
Philip

6 Likes

Just wanted to add to the positive reviews. I’ve looked forward to every episode of both series and they’ve never disappointed!

The journey’s are so engaging and for me, seeing home again on the screen is always great (if a tiny bit bittersweet, especially at the moment when I can’t get back there!).

Kiri and Maggi Noggi’s episode was particularly poignant and so much fun!

Awesome work from all the celebs and the team that made the programme! It has so much heart and joy.

1 Like

See the fabulous episode of Heno here :arrow_down: where the Iaith ar Daith celebs take over as presenters of the show for one evening! They did so very well!

https://www.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/823217483

5 Likes

Thanks for that. Yes it’s that message. I’ll have to investigate Firefox then.

1 Like

I’ll tell her that - she’ll be delighted :star2:

Done and dusted. Thanks a lot!!

1 Like

I really enjoy the commentary too. Alex Jones is from Ammanford in Carmarthenshire and does (I think) a brilliant Job and has probably interviewed most of the celebs in her day job. I also learn a lot from her and the mentors too. Having already completed more of the challanges than the celebs it means there is something for everyone to learn and enjoy, which makes the programme more appealing. Also Alex Jones is one of the BBC’s top earners so I imagine she does not take part for financial gain but more the enjoyment of using her welsh and staying close to her roots. @gisella-albertini You may enjoy another programme presented by Alex called Y fam gymraig if it is still available.

I have just seen the last episide with Joanna, she also did fantastic and Mark too was a offered great encouragement, another great pairing. I am sad to see the end of the series and look forward to the next batch of learners whoever they maybe.
I thought everyone was amazing and look forward to following there progress with the language.
I have seen all the episides without subtitles and will watch again with subtitles on when i get a chance.
I look forward to watching their langage progress and am sure we will see lots more of them on S4C in the future.
Highlights are to many to mention so maybe after rewatching I shall narrow them down. Da iawn pawb.:muscle:
As a Swansea and welsh football fan who followed cookies career you would think by his accent he had never left Townhill. Chwarae teg YJB!!!

2 Likes

Is seems that the link to the Heno programme on S4C Clic is unfortunately currently unavailable. But you can still watch it via iPlayer -

Luckily Heno worked yesterday on S4C, cause BBC player is only for UK!

Edit: original link on S4C is actually working again right now.
I see they’ve taken off the details to participate at “ffansi fortiwn” - I guess there was people still calling them! :laughing:

1 Like

I thought Joanna’s comment about Welsh feeling like home was really interesting. My only experience of Welsh growing up was music so it isn’t really home for me in any traditional sense. But after hours and hours of listening it does feel like home. There’s something intensely comforting for me whenever I hear what are now very familiar rhythms.

I think the emotional connections people bring to and acquire through the process of learning are just so important for “success”.

1 Like

Did you sort this? I get an error message the first time I try to watch a programme. If I refresh the page it loads successfully. Pop lwc!

Yes with help from Siaron I did, thanks.

1 Like