Iaith ar Daith (Social Media)

Oh great to hear that, @Sionned and @brigitte, thanks!
Maybe they just stopped the live version (which in fact is really rarely possible over here) but made it available to see now.

Or maybe it’s like 35 Awr - they made it available again by mistake, and then realized weeks later. So just in case… :shushing_face: let’s see it while it’s there! :wink:

2 Likes

I really enjoyed it - hope it motivates many more to try out SSIW method

2 Likes

The following video was published earlier today:

Completely silly, and will add virtually nothing to your Welsh learning experience, but sometimes you need foolishness, right?! :joy:

(I make no apologies!)

4 Likes

Shwmae @pontypridd Dw i’n trio dysgu Cymraeg. Ben Black O Cwmbran :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You’re the eye of your place, Ben.

:clap::black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

3 Likes

S4C published the first of the Colin Jackson batch last night.

This was a completely bizarre, and utterly hilarious conversation that I felt needed word-for-word translation! You feedback, as always, is most welcome :smile:

(Colin Jackson is a former Gold medal-winning Olympian; his Iaith ar Daith companion Eleri Siôn is a broadcaster)

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for the extra hints to help me figure out why they’re laughing! :smiley:

1 Like

Written with you in mind! :smile:

2 Likes

I am not sure about this series or how international it goes but there is loads of SC4 and othere welsh learning stuff on you tube.

1 Like

Luckily with this I was proven wrong, it is available in Italy too.

In any case thanks, yes, every resource available around the web can be useful.

For S4C, I prefer watching things straight from Clic (official website) because it has the full programmes not only short clips, and - still very important for me at the moment- subtitles.

I usually watch them without subs them the first time - and with this one, I was quite satisfied of being able to understand most of it!
But then I watch it again with English subs and checking the Welsh equivalent when I have no idea of what it is - which really helps me a lot in building vocabulary made of full sentences rather than single words.

1 Like

Diolch, Sioned!! I didn’t look for it, because I just assumed I wouldn’t be able to see it here in Canada. I’ll be checking it out tonight. :slight_smile:

…and Owen, I do remember you from the forums. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve given the list a bit of an update (apologies for my tardiness).

The anticipated blooper reel hasn’t materialised, I’m afraid. But to be honest, a great deal of the funniest moments have become their own items, e.g. Carol Vorderman laughing; Ruth Jones’ inability to pronounce “Sheep” in Welsh; and a particular NSFW in-car discussion between Scott Quinnell and Sarra Elgan, the theme of which is the word “Schlongs”! :joy:

All Colin Jackson’s social video items are now online:

I like how honest this is - and it’s a view I’ve seen echoed by BAME Welsh speakers on Twitter, too:

The juxtaposition gets me every time!:

I apologise for making you watch this! :joy::

I love how off the wall this conversation is. Subtitling was a hideous joy!:

• Colin Jackson’s ridiculous fantasy 100m hurdles final lineup: Twitter / Facebook
1 Like

Ruth Jones has landed!

Genuine feedback very very welcome :pray:

2 Likes

Great clip.
Looking forward to Seeing Ruth on the programme. I am (almost) sure I saw her being interviewed live in Welsh a while back, she had very little knowledge of the language (or was nervous) and answered mostly in English. But it was such a brave thing to do and maybe that inspired her to become fluent.
I love this clip. They are both comic and seem to have a natural rapport. Certain words trip up all of us learners at times (mine was blynyddoedd) and we all get through it eventually. I also look forward to Ruth adding more Welsh into her future scripts. I think she (like the others) will become great ambassadors for the language.
Da iawn pawb.

3 Likes

One of the things I like best (and also in general of these clips, and the actual programme) is the fact that they’re hilarious. They focus on the fun rather than the struggle - which of course is always there, but the attitude you have towards it can make a huge difference.

Just the other day a pretty well-known polyglot, Richard Symcott, asked on Twitter:
“When can I say I speak a language? I’d love to know your thoughts on this & read some of your answers to this question. I am putting together a presentation for the Polyglot Gathering this year on this very question as I get asked a lot about what “speaking a language” means.”

My answer was:
"When I’m able to effectively communicate in a Country where it is natively spoken, and have a basic chat with people I meet. From my recent experience with Welsh, I would add: preferably enjoying myself doing so (other languages had been way more painful!)"

It’s true! But I didn’t know and it’s a shame people still don’t realize this is actually possible, and I think it’s great that this tv programme and promotion goes in that direction!

4 Likes

Two things with this new one:

1. Absolutely heartbreaking.
  2. Ruth’s Cymraeg is staggeringly good.

https://twitter.com/OwsWills/status/1256503298028421121

1 Like

That link didn’t work for me but I have just watched the latest episode with Ruth on catch up and agree 100%. Her Welsh is great and the ending was very emotional. Nessa is just as scary when she speaks Welsh. Great series. Looking forward to Adrian and Scott. :muscle:

We really enjoyed Ruth’s episode. It was easier to follow even though there was little Saesneg. Ruth is a born entertainer which also helps. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

1 Like

The video has been removed, I’m afraid. I’m not totally clear on the reasons why, but these things aren’t done lightly. Hopefully it’ll be reinstated soon.

1 Like

Just to say, I LOVED making this video :joy:

2 Likes