Irish language series on TG4

In case anyone is interested…
The Irish language version of a series I worked on last year is currently airing in Ireland on TG4. It’s called Taoide. It is 3 programmes, each an hour long about aspects of the tide around the world. The first one went out on May 1st (sorry I didn’t post then!) but should still be available on web catch-up, and the second and third go out tomorrow night (8th May) and 15th May.

There is also a Scottish Gaelic version called An Lan on the same dates.

The Welsh version (Llanw) and Northern Ireland (English) version (Tide) will be going out next month on the 2nd, 9th and 16th.

4 Likes

Cool! Will look for it. Trying to learn Irish at the moment. Slowly getting past the spelling. OMB!!! Too many letters. But it’s starting to make sense to me now… Ffiw!! :slight_smile: Need to get back to watching Ros na Rún.

2 Likes

You don’t happen to have a link to a good basic guide to spelling, do you? I don’t want to learn Irish, but I am going to Dublin in August for the Worldcon (world SF convention) and I would like to be able to make a reasonable attempt at pronouncing the place names.

The best one I’ve found so far is on youtube. Hopefully, this link will work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIokUII7LX0 If by chance it doesn’t work, look for " Sounds and Spelling of Irish / Fuaimniú & Litriú na Gaeilge" It’s still hard for me to get my head round Irish spelling, but it does make sense once you start getting into it. Wish we had an Irish course on saysomethingin. Also need Breton and Scott’s Gaelic. :slight_smile:

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Perhaps also look up the YouTube channel Bite Size Irish and have a poke around.