Is Oswestry Welsh?

There was a story a few years ago about an american fire department deciding to honour some of their members who had Irish ancestry with Irish Gaelic signage and words for their liveries and they used Scottish Gaelic by mistake. Apparently it had quite different meanings - maybe a bit of Welsh - Breton, Gwin Coch sort of confusion.

Just going back to the original video in this thread. The last man speaking in the film (2.03 in) was my partners grandfather who spoke Welsh, his children were actively discouraged from learning Welsh so grew up only speaking English, and now it’s going full circle with us and our children, his great-grandchildren, learning Welsh and using it in the home whenever we can. My partner’s said a few times that she would have loved the chance to speak some Welsh to him were he still alive.

12 Likes

My heart aches for her, Rich, and all like her!

2 Likes

200 families in Croesoswallt? Oswestry? Where can I see these detailed stats? What about the areas in SW Herefordshire or West of Clun?

Not just the town, but the surrounding area (which includes Llanymynech and Selattyn right on the border).

You can query the Census data here: QS204EW (Main language (detailed)) - Nomis - Official Census and Labour Market Statistics
For English local authority wards, you can select Welsh as a main language.

I can’t reproduce the 200 figure, which I got from elsewhere and looks suspiciously rounded.

For Clun, incidentally, I got one single individual first language Welsh speaker - almost certainly not a local.

To save you the trouble, here are the results of my quick query of the mid-boder wards:

6 Likes

They’re mutually intelligible, apparently.
Although also a Gaelic language, Manx is quite different from them, though (its orthography is half Welsh, half English! because the vocab was collated and written down by linguists from Cymru and England).

1 Like

ystadegau da Rob … only issue with the data as a useful tool is “What is your main language”…many Welsh speakers in England would not put Welsh as main for obvious reasons

If there was “Do you speak any languages - Welsh” column … I am sure it will be significantly higher

2 Likes

But then you have to define what constitutes “speaking” a language. I can speak French enough to get by in France; I can read books aimed at children around the age of 9 with little difficulty, but if I were asked on a census for languages I spoke, I wouldn’t put French because I’m not fluent. And that’s the problem with people self-certifying their ability: some will be happy to put that they speak Welsh simply because they can ask for a coffi, and others wouldn’t be happy putting it despite being able to understand most of a news broadcast.

3 Likes

The most shocking thing is that some first language speakers would question their own ability because they couldn’t deliver a Sunday sermon or win and eisteddfod chair.

5 Likes

I know a 1st language Welsh speaker from Pen y Groes , who lives near me. I told her that I was learning not long after I had started and her reply really puzzled and shocked me. She said " I wish I could speak Welsh . I feel bad for not being able to speak it after living here all my life "
Bare in mind that this person is as Welsh as Welsh can be and speaks it with her family all the time .
I looked at her puzzled and told her that she speaks Welsh all the time and is completely fluent and her reply to me was , " We don’t speak Welsh we just speak slang "
I found it quite astounding that she doesn’t class herself as a Welsh speaker and when I questioned her further she said that she doesn’t understand news bulletins in Welsh as they use “posh Welsh” and that she would have to use subtitles to watch certain programmes on s4c .
She obviously doesn’t think of her and her family and friend’s Welsh as being “proper” enough

3 Likes

It’s an interesting point though.

Are there distinct strata of Welsh speaking / Welsh speakers?

And they run in parallel to, but do not speak to each other?

I wonder what @garethrking makes of all this?

1 Like

I’m sure there are different strata of English speakers. I’m in Somerset, and some of the older generation (not so much now, but certainly a couple of decades ago) would talk in a colloquial language that was almost impenetrable to the younger generation. It’s not inconceivable that such speakers might have difficulty with the English used on BBC news bulletins (if any of them owned the technology to actually access them!)

1 Like

I long ago got used to native speakers dissing their own ability to speak Welsh and dutifully admiring the tartified Welsh promoted by their ‘betters’ (predominantly second-language speakers).

And I long ago stopped caring. :confused:

5 Likes

It could just be that mistakenly, she doesn’t acknowledge the true worth of her perfectly authentic and respectable dialect. The same thing happens “down south”. I think I mentioned elsewhere that a friend of mine feels that way about his brilliant Cwmtawe dialect :frowning:

1 Like

That’s very sad, isn’t it? I met someone in Crymych once who I heard speaking Welsh with kitchen staff in a pub, but when I tried speaking to her she got embarrassed and said, “I don’t speak Welsh properly and I don’t speak English properly either. We all just speak a mixture around here” and then she replied in English even though I continued on in Welsh.

But it’s a common phenomenon. I had a friend from Mauritius who spoke French as her first language, but when she went to France felt that she spoke some kind of second rate language and actually preferred to speak English there!

6 Likes

I think that’s just a case of self-esteem - she’d understand 95% without any problem, and the other 5% would stop being a problem if she watched regularly.

5 Likes

But in that case there is a French-based Creole, which uses French words but with very different grammar. I don’t know if that affects the ‘proper French’ of the island, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if you had a whole linguistic/social spectrum with even people at/near the top of it being painfully aware of it not being pure French.

I saw an example quoted for West African Creole that went something like this:

The boys shouted [standard but spoken with a Cameroon accent]
Di boiz halad [‘hollered’]
Di boiz bin hala
Di boi-dem bin hala
Di man-pikin dem bin hala

Right at the top, it’s clearly perfectly good English with slight local flavour, but by the time you get to the bottom it’s clearly a different language. If you grow up speaking somewhere on that spectrum, but educated only in the language at the top of it then (1) you don’t respect or understand how different they are, you just learn that you speak ‘broken English’ and (2) you get used to being constantly told that you’ve made grammatical mistakes.

Sorry. Bit of a hobby-horse - I don’t know if it applies to your friend, although I suspect some of it does apply to Welsh-speakers comparing their speech with literary Welsh.

1 Like

That’s really interesting. One of the modules I enjoyed most when I was studying linguistics was looking into the development of pidgins and creoles.

What my friend said though was that she went to a “good school” where they were lead to believe they were speaking “proper French”. She was quite demoralised when she went to France, which was sad. After all, it’s not any kind of linguistic deficiency, just the status that gets afforded to one version of a language rather than another.

Yes, I think pidgins and creoles are fascinating – I just get ranty about them because I’ve taught Caribbean students who simply referred to themselves as speaking “Broken English”. (Like @Sam84’s “We just speak slang” and your “don’t speak Welsh properly”.) It pains me to see people effectively putting themselves down linguistically; and from a pedagogical point of view, if you can’t recognise that there are real differences between the two, it makes your attempts to turn your ‘Broken English’ into ‘proper English’ little better than guesswork. I had one student from Jamaica who just used to sprinkle his writing randomly with s’s, in the hope that some of them might be right: he said “Di boi go” for both “the boy goes” and “the boys go”, but he knew that he was supposed to put at least one s somewhere to make it correct… (Mind you, I’m reminded of discussions on here about the difficulty of trying to remember which kinds of relative clauses need a in ‘proper’ Welsh and which need y !)

At the same time, I think those Caribbean students who did have good standard English were actually the worst at making such a distinction – as far as they were concerned, it was all English, just some of it was really bad. (And if I can do it well, it’s just that these others who can’t are stupid and ignorant.) They understood the whole spectrum, mind you, and were really surprised to find that native British English speakers just had absolutely no idea what something like “Di gyaal dem ben deh go dong deh” meant (‘The girls were going down there’), but still they could not accept my assertion that it actually wasn’t English. In the end I dug out some other, non-Atlantic English-lexified Pidgin for this one student: I showed her the opening sentences of the constitution of Vanuata (“Ripablik blong Vanuatu…”) and she finally went, “Oh yeah – I can see that there are English words there, but they’re being used in such a different way that I don’t understand them,” and that’s when she finally conceded that maybe Patwa wasn’t actually English…

4 Likes

Slightly related, but kind of in the opposite direction:

3 Likes