John - Say something in English

I am an old newcomer - that is to say I started learning with SSiW with the original lessons, struggled to commit in the past, and now I am picking it up the challenges “on a mission” to go through it properly and commit so much per week to it.

So I have got through quite a few challenges, and feel really comfortable not having to pause. I started to watch “cariad@iaith” which is really good, but I found I was struggling to pick up the basic words Caroline was saying in welsh right at the beginning. I was recognising many words but struggled to work in my mind coverting them to English, and yet I “kind” of followed what she was saying. Does that make sense? Going through the lessons, you hear the English, and you are required to convert to Welsh, works great. But trying to watch S4C, and I am hearing the welsh and not able to convert backwards even the words I know well.

I just wanted to know if (a) watching Welsh channels is OK or bad for you in the early stages of the challenges, (e.g. up to lesson 6), and is it natural to struggle converting it backwards - is this something I can contiune to practise without worrying about it?

Thanks for this site, My roots on my mums side is deeo in Ton Pentre, and I want to learn welsh in respect of my nan. This site has really helped!

Not at all bad for you - watching Welsh TV, listening to Welsh radio or podcasts, it’s all good no matter what level you’re at, BUT don’t fall into the misconception that you need to be translating/understanding it. Just hearing it will reinforce patterns and vocabulary, and gradually you will understand more and more. Ok, so that may be a while away yet, but yes, do continue to hear Welsh at every opportunity, because while it is natural to struggle converting it backwards, it’ll help you reach the stage where eventually, you’ll be understanding it without translating at all… it’ll just make sense in Welsh!

1 Like

Super response. I don’t want to do anything that will conflict or complicate the learning process. I’m not brave enough to practise with other people just yet. I am listening to some Welsh TV programmes at night as I sleep.

Thank you

1 Like

Radio Cymru’s good too @DaytaMOD… and rather than worry about what doesn’t click, celebrate what does! Be it odd words, or phrases, or more. And the longer that Welsh is on, somehow more seems to click - head getting into Welsh mindset perhaps?
The other thing I sometimes find is that an odd word I don’t know will keep recurring - so I jot it down (best shot at spelling - which is much better now than it used to be) and see if I can find out what it means. This is one time Google’s approach may prove useful, because it’s not too worried about your spelling, but gives its best guess at what you mean - which you obviously will need to double-check, but may at least point you in the right direction!!
Having the gist without necessarily ‘knowing’ all the words is brilliant - and let’s face it, you may get the gist of what someone says in English without catching every word. I love the feeling of having the gist without translating…

Happy viewing/listening :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think listening comprehension just comes a lot more slowly than speaking. I’ve had a few moments of worry about this as well, as I’ve gone through the course. I was worried that although I recognised words, I didn’t have time to translate them in my head. Then one day I heard a phrase and knew exactly what it meant without having to translate it. It’s very, very gradually starting to happen more.

It’s a much more gradual process than learning to say things. And it seems like it happens at different rates for different people. I think the more Welsh you listen to, the better. I have the Pigion podcast for Welsh learners on while I work.

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up about Pigion Podcast @alan-charlesworth. I’ll add that to my bedtime reading list and will give it a go tonight.

Radio Cymru is good, I should use it more. Thank you @ann-6.