Journaly, a new site for practising writing different languages

Actually I had lost a lot of my motivation to learn last year (not knowing when I’d be able to come back for a trip around Wales). And talking to another learner, she told me she had signed up for an exam, and she thought it helped.
Even though I hate exams, and know almost nothing about those courses, I thought it could be a good idea especially cause they’re just oral this year) and registered for Sylfaen (it’s really just a trick to give me a little push, no need for me to do anything too complicated and stressful considering I immediately regret my decision but it’s too late now! :joy:)

So yes, I’m still not sure of what 'm going to do, but certainly have to practice by June! See you and Sue @Betterlatethan there!

1 Like

Too true! I am particularly bad at mutations, putting them in where none should be and leaving them out where they are needed. I think that I mostly get away with it when talking though I sometimes realise what I have done when it is too late.
I have done some online Uwch classes and have signed up for another, but I have no intention of ever taking another exam. Good luck with yours @margarethall. And good luck with yours too, @gisella-albertini.Sylfaen should not be too bad I hope.
Sue

2 Likes

I did the Sylfaen a couple of years ago. It was OK. I went to Aberystwyth to take it because it had written papers as well as the oral. It is interesting how the covid pandemic has opened up the Welsh exams, classes, Sadwrn Siarads and other activities to people who don’t live in Wales. One of the other people doing the Uwch exam is Swiss and living in Switzerland!

1 Like

That’s funny @margarethall, I’m doing this only because there is NO written papers! :laughing:

The learner who told me about these online exams is actually an Australian who lives in the Netherlands,and doing an on line class too (I don’t, and accidentally met her in a Facebook Duolingo group).

How do you know that another doing the Uwch exam is Swiss and lives in Switzerland?

I chose to go for the Sylfaen, rather than a more challenging Canolradd, because I’ve always been terrible at exams! I get super-anxious and often cannot say even things I know just fine (which is one of the reasons my formal education didn’t go too far).

Here, I don’t really need a paper stating my proficiency of Welsh, I don’t plan to join regular online courses, and I think that sylfaen is equivalent to the only French exam I passed - and I had studied it for 6 years at school! :sweat_smile: Of course that included a full test, with grammar and written piece, but still…I think I’d feel quite satisfied anyway!

Thanks, @Betterlatethan!

I’ve known the Swiss person for a while via Habitica, but we’ve also had a Zoom tutorial with a tutor, provided free by the North West region of the Welsh for Adults courses. They’ve set up 3 tutorials to help us with exam preparation.

But like you, I’m only doing the exam this year because there are no written papers! :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I keep thinking about keeping a journal in Welsh or starting a blog.
I’m terrible at keeping a journal and my reading blog doesn’t get updated much but writing is my passion. This is something I could do once a week, I feel like my learning had slowed since finishing the SSIW courses, I’m learning sylfaen but it’s slow going.
Anyway, do you think that journaly will be more beneficial than a blog in Welsh?

I’m just blogging in Welsh @jen ynyrardd.wordpress.com :slight_smile:

1 Like

The main purpose of Journaly is creating a community of learners who want to practise writing texts in a language they’re learning, and native/very fluent speakers who can correct mistakes and comment them right there, easily, and quickly.
At the moment there’s not many Welsh learners and speakers, so it’s not as effective as other languages, yet. But it’s also up to us promoting it (especially to Welsh speakers learning other languages, so they can get help on their own learning, say, Italian or German, as well as helping Welsh learners for example!

For the blogging pros and cons I let @Cetra have her say, since I’ve never been able to go past a couple of posts when I tried blogging! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I got as far of thinking of a blog name and wrote a entry in my notebook. :joy: I already have a blog in English. I’ll decide eventually.

1 Like

Maybe I’ll pull my socks up and get round to writing another post before too long.
Sue

1 Like

https://journaly.com/dashboard/profile/7262
I just signed up. I’ll hopefully remember to type up my diary entry for last week. Got my dosbarth Cymraeg yn y bore.

1 Like

I’m definitely not able to correct other people written pieces in Welsh. :sweat_smile:

But while we wait for the experts to join and help, if you (anyone in this thread) like, we might just write posts and exchange comments like “maybe I would have used this or that here” or “why X instead of y?” “What about…?” And so on?

Basically sharing our doubts in there, and seeming cooperation may bring to learn something together?

2 Likes

Yeah, I feel the same. I haven’t worked out how to do that yet anyway but I’m not confident at correcting others. But it’s a good idea to exchange comments and suggestions, like what we do in my Welsh class. I’m terrible at mutations, we’re going to be revising that soon diolch byth!

2 Likes

The problem with writing is that all wrong mutations (or other mistakes) stay there - while speaking you can kinda hide them or pretend and get people a bit confused so that they don’t completely realize! :sweat_smile:
(Learnt that when I was learning English and applied it ever since!) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyway, ok then! We’ll see you there on Journaly and see how it goes!

1 Like

I think you all worry too much!!! :rofl:Hopefully, one of the things that SSIW has taught us is that its good to make mistakes!!! I’m sure there are gazillions of mistakes in my blog but, hey, I enjoy writing it, people enjoy reading it, and somehow the message gets across even when I’ve got stuff wrong. I do learn from the process of writing it, but if I agonised about making mistakes and (shock, horror!! :wink:) having them there for everyone to see I’d never put (virtual) pen to paper, just like you’d never open your mouth to speak if you fret about making mistakes when speaking. So my advice is, just go for it, get writing, and please stop fretting!!! :grinning:

2 Likes

:rofl:

I know the SSiW motto, of course! But for me it’s very easy to apply with speaking, and not with writing.

Of course, through time I have tried writing something here and there - a message, an e-mail, a postcard, a post, a comment.

But while I’ve never cared about making a mess when trying to speak, even after a few months I had started, writing it’s just completely different.
I can’t help feeling stressed and start overthinking, and I just don’t enjoy it!!!

However I’m willing to try more, so that’s also why I joined Journaly and sooner rather than later will write something too - and at least there I can add a bit of motivation knowing (hoping for now) that someone will correct it and help me improve.
Cause otherwise I do just fine without! :grin:

3 Likes

This is cute, and looks like a useful idea. I’ve only really ever written in simple, single formulaic sentences thus far (mostly about parsnips, via a rival platform…) so here goes mine…
https://journaly.com/dashboard/profile/9139

4 Likes

I’ve just noticed this! It sounds ideal for people who are comfortable with their speaking and keen to try their hand at writing in Welsh.

Note, if you decide to join, that you need to look for ‘Welsh’ in the list of languages rather than ‘Cymraeg’. There seems to be a mixture in the selection - some languages as they are called by native speakers and others by their English name.

Those of you who’ve been using it for a while - how are you finding it? Is it useful to you? Do you get helpful feedback?

EDIT: Fate definitely wanted me to look at this website. I thought I’d have a look at the 2 Basque entries to see if I could understand them and the first one I looked at was a brief review of a book in Spanish that I’m currently reading! How big a coincidence is that? :astonished:

2 Likes

I need to do more on Journaly. I posted a few entries and then got distracted. I did get some useful feedback, though obviously it depends on who had signed up to use the site. I also ought to do more to encourage the beginners who are just dipping their toe into the water regarding writing.

Robin MacPherson is running a virtual book club again during August and encouraging people to write reviews and comments on Journaly about the book they are reading. I’m reading Llestri’r Dylluan for the challenge and I ought to post some thoughts now we’re about half way through the month and I’m about half way through the book.

2 Likes

I can’t tell for Welsh, cause I keep on delaying my practice writing phase. :grimacing:

However, I gave quite a few feedbacks to Italian language learners.
And seeing the process there, from the native speaker’s side, I can see how it can really help improving fast: you can write about topics you enjoy, and practice vocabulary and forms you’re more likely to use again.
And natives can tell what you sound odd, like a school book, or choose the wrong word from the dictionary! :sweat_smile:

I see it’s also very interesting for practicing transcribing (therefore, listening): I’ve corrected a few transcriptions by an advanced learner, of an Italian radio programme about art. She put the link, so I (and anyone) could check the audio and fill the missing bits or hear what she had got wrong.
Very interesting for me as well to listen, and reflect about the language, besides learning something new about painters!

What a coincidence about the review! :open_mouth:

2 Likes