Just Imagine...!

I’ll pledge £25 too so that just needs another 20,998 of us.

2 Likes

I remember staying with my dad in Kennington in the late 80s (just before I went off to uni), and going off to visit a friend who lived in Brixton. When I turned up, her landlord was horrified that I’d walked from the tube station to their house in the dark on my own and without any kind of defensive weapon (!)

1 Like

Oh dear. At College, I went out with a lad from Brixton at one stage. He still lived at home in their Council flat. Lovely area, lovely people, pleasure to visit. When? About '61 or '62. I had a flat in Stoke Newington next door to the cop shop, shared with another girl. We got asked to leave because we stayed for part of the vacation and she got a job next door, filing or something, and invited a cop in so should could sew on a button for him. The Police on the premises? What would the neighbours say??? Out! Out! Truly! That’s when we went to the Elephant and Castle. As I recall, my moves around London always led me to the latest ‘one place in London you would not let your daughter visit’! But I did notice that Brixton became less welcoming later on.

It’s hipster central nowadays, I gather … but I also gather that if you venture too far afield, there are still dodgy areas thereabouts. Thas Lannun forya innit.

1 Like

Maybe Diane’s TV career has raised its profile?

I spent a night in an Airbnb room on Electric Avenue in Brixton once.

Very colourful, though the market setting up just outside my window in the early hours of the morning made me glad I had earplugs.

Very hand for the tube to St Pancras (it was the night before my return Eurostar journey) – when I got to Brixton tube station, the tube was full from all the people trying to get on with me before I got to the edge of the platform, but at that point I was strategically placed to get onto the next one which was empty as it was the end of the line :slight_smile: One stop further on and I wouldn’t have been able to find a seat.

Nice host, though I only saw her briefly - a young German lady. Makes you breakfast to order on your first morning which I quite enjoyed.

1 Like

Our daughter did her gap year there doing voluntary work for London City Mission about 20 years ago. Slightly scarey, but she survived. She actually stayed next to Tower Bridge, which surprisingly was a lot worse.

Years back, a friend worked in a hotel near Tower Bridge! Cockroaches rife!! Just as likely have one wondering across the bar!! All around there is so old and bomb-shaken that pests flourish, walls are cracked and… no I wouldn’t pick it as a place to stay!

1 Like

Ha! Just saw this now💕That was the least I could do for my wonderful group. Just wish we lived closer to one another. I would love to join you all at the next boot camp/ anniversary party…

2 Likes