Just started the Advanced content

I thought I’d dive into the advanced content, first of all I had some hiccups as I couldn’t find the English so I ended up just randomly picking ones with english. (is it just me?)

I listened to an interview with Becca, first of all I couldn’t understand anything and now after listening and then reading the transcript a few times I can understand it. :slight_smile: I’m surprised but I should know better. Always trust the SSIW team!

I just listened to Dyddiadur Dynas Desbret (02 first for some reason) and I can understand a little. I enjoyed it, it was so funny :slight_smile: Looking forward to be able to understand more as I go on.

I’m still listening to the radio and podcasts when I can although not being able to understand does make me switch off sometimes. I prefer songs. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to understand more thanks to the advanced section :slight_smile:

Just a heads up for anyone about to try the advanced section, it’s North Wales Welsh. Dim problem i fi dw i’n gwylio rownd a rownd, Cymreag is Cymraeg no matter what dialect, just might not know the North Wales word just yet.

I’ve listened to two so far and I’m happy with the advanced section. I’ve been going over the old course. I can’t help myself I think I’ll miss the challengers if I stop

4 Likes

There are some Southern ones mixed in, but as Beca is based in the North, it’s been easier for her to find Northern guests, which is why it seems “north-heavy” - but believe me, she pounces on any southern speakers whenever she is able!

1 Like

Brilliant, thanks for that @Jen, I keep putting off starting the advanced, must dive in now :smile:

I’m sure someone posted information about different parts of the advanced content a while back, with a way of finding your way through it more easily - and thought I’d bookmarked it - but I can’t find it now :frowning:
I know, should have jumped in sooner…

Was it a post of yours @rich? Or if not, do you know what I might be thinking of?
Do hope I’ve not just imagined a post…

3 Likes

Hmm can’t seem to find it either!

The website (but not the App) has titles of the little series of recordings that have now been done which effectively groups them together - allowing you to scroll down and select what to listen to.

Deg y Dysgwyr is a good start because it is people who haven’t long learned and therefore they don’t speak too quickly.

@gisella-albertini has posted something recently which has the numbers of the Becca a Phobl conversations which are South Wales people. I will find this and post a link here. I would do these next.

As a personal opinion, I feel that the recordings of Becca reading story content are in fact the hardest of all because they contain a certain amount of written/ literary Welsh which you don’t normally hear in conversation… also that written material is very much boiled down/ highly refined (and often very descriptive) compared to ‘normal conversation’. So, as a personal opinion, I would recommend leaving any focus on these until later in your journey.

All of the regular conversations (vs stories) involving Becca all have transcripts and translation - there are couple of old Growth Club recordings - unfortunately at the top of the list on the website which don’t - these were added to hold the fort when Becca was unwell.

Rich :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m not complaining, it’s all good practice. :grin:

2 Likes

Diolch @rich - that’s really helpful :smile:

1 Like