Language levels

I’m trying to compose a letter and CV to send out to try and get a local job within primary care local to me. I want to include information on my level of Welsh. I have come to the conclusion that the only way to improve is to listen and speak Welsh as part of my daily life. I have finished all the online levels and courses. How would I describe my ability? I am thinking B1?

B1 at a bare minimum, but more probably high B2, I’d expect. If they have any idea what that means - so you might want to add ‘I’m happy to talk Welsh, as long as the other person isn’t fussy about mistakes’, something like that… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you that sounds lovely. I think I was being conservative about the level because on the reading and writing level

2 Likes

On the application form that I am completing, there are separate boxes for speaking and reading/writing. They adked for the old numerical levels. So I claimed 3 and 2 for Welsh,. And 4/4 for English. Basically . Because that was what was required.

1 Like

So cool! :raised_hands:

@amandalaing you speak really well! Definitely B2 or B1 on the speaking part.

If I could most respectfully disagree with @aran on the above, and encourage you not to put yourself down like that on your CV/cover letter. Not that I am recommending lying or even stretching the truth, but no B1/B2 person is perfect and understands 100% so that’s kind of covered already, right :)?

1 Like

Looking back on the level 4 English requirement, Im not sure about that for a Welsh speaking county .

that’s very kind, but I do doubt myself. I’ve had a look at the back of the new learners books and they rate canolradd as B1 and Uwch as B2. I’m managing to read the canolradd books but finding them a little challenging in places. I think I decided on ‘I have been learning Welsh since I moved here and am happy to speak Welsh but am not fluent’. I’m not sure there are any jobs similar to my current one but its worth a go.

2 Likes