Languages I'd Love To See On SSi

I saw this in an article:

Finnish, which has 15 grammatical cases and is notoriously difficult for foreigners to learn,

This sounds like an assumption that needs challenging from SSi. @aran i have full confidence that you could rise to this challenge

:smile:

8 Likes

Catalan and Breton plis :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Canā€™t wait to set Kai loose on Finnish!

My sense from other case heavy languages is that you solve for this by making sure that people are comfortable with the most common usage patterns, and thatā€™s enough to get into conversations, and then exposure gradually solves for the extra variations (which is really pretty much the way children acquire linguistic complexities, so should be a fairly solid approach, fingers crossed!).

Hope youā€™re all keeping well, and getting occasional bits of sleep here any thereā€¦ :wink:

4 Likes

Best thing is to do SSiGerman first, then Russian and then Finnish. That way I get the courses I want first :wink: and SSiBorg gets experience with increasing case complexity. :grin:

1 Like

German would be good! :slight_smile: I need a serious refresher and I donā€™t really want to do it using any other method than SSIW! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I would like to have French language here. I have also gone through the basic learning of French from college-essay-writing-service and now studying more in-depth regrading the language and its really fun.

3 Likes

Hello! Itā€™s me here, the broken record :wink:
Polyglot gathering is getting under way later in the first half of this year (both online and in person for the first time since Covid!). Invariably, the topic turns to ā€œwhat languages do you speak?ā€. Invariably, the response to Welsh is ā€œhow did you learn THAT?ā€. And invariably there is huge interest when I explain the SSi method. There are some that have done Pimsleur and have been super bored when it comes to the lack of practicality of many parts of the course. They are always impressed with SSi.
Most donā€™t want to learn welsh, although Iā€™ve sent a couple of people here who have. Is there any good news I might be able to share with them about upcoming courses? Even English (although most speak it already) or Chinese (very popular right now) or Portuguese? Of course Iā€™m still waiting for German :grin:
Iā€™m contemplating joining Pimsleur again. They now have a polyglot option with all 51 languages for A$29 per month. Thatā€™s a lot of money but thatā€™s also a lot of languages. But Iā€™d rather give it to you!

4 Likes

Iā€™d love to see courses for Korean and Irish. Maybe even a course for Japanese too.

1 Like

Iā€™m not in any way being rude, but why is it all taking so long to bring out more languages in the SSI series? Iā€™ve been waiting many years for more, but nothing seems to materialise :frowning:

1 Like

I happen to know that there are actually a few languages being developed, and some of them in a quite advanced phase*.

I have no knowledge of all the exact reasons of why it took/itā€™s taking/it will take a bit more time to release new languages.

But one thing for sure is that thereā€™s some big technical improvements being made and tested to allow more flexibility and customization to each learner (and their needs/preferences).

And this just takes time. But Iā€™m very curious to see the end result because it seems well worth the wait!

*Edit @Liam.Q including Mandarin and/or English for Mandarin speakers, as far as I know

5 Likes

So, it has been quite a while since the last update; any news/teasers or the like?

1 Like

Are they really preparing Mandarin? Because I WANT to learn it but have been spoiled by SSIW so that no other course will do. Iā€™ve tried a few, none of them suited me so well.

2 Likes

Donā€™t worry, not taken as rude at all - and sorry for not seeing this before - I think it probably boils down to two key issues - one is that itā€™s been really tricky to reproduce the method reliably in multiple languages, and two is that weā€™re looking to be able to produce a course for every language, rather than just the usual suspects.

That means that when weā€™ve been able to produce a certain amount of new stuff, but itā€™s been slow and painful, weā€™ve wanted to keep on working to build something more robust.

Itā€™s really only been the startling improvements in ChatGPT (particularly from 3 to 4) and some strong additions to our tech team that have given us line of sight for some rapid production towards the end of this year/start of next :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like