Yorkshire Learners Group

We were dead jammy on the trains, no thanks to FirstTPE. There were lots of reserved seats that no-one came for on our way to Leeds. Coming back we got a train that was supposed to come from the horse races at York but it never got there and started its return journey from Leeds. So we got onto an empty train and were in Huddersfield in 16 minutes. Then I couldn’t get off because of all the people getting on. Maybe 4th Saturday wasn’t such a good idea?

Traffic jams TO York in the morning were all cleared by the time Geraint and I set off home. I’m not looking forward though to Bank Holiday travel on the train to Aberdyfi tomorrow!

That was a really enjoyable and useful meeting today.

For those who didn’t make it, I will be away next month, one person will be at Bootcamp, one was unsure. Eileen has offered to organise the meeting so you will be in safe hands there and if numbers are lower there won’t be as many people wanting a share of her attention.

The music book mentioned today is
Canu’r Cymry, (Welsh Folk Songs) by Phyllis Kinney a Meredydd Evans.
ISBN 0 9510307 7 9
and today’s story came from
Deg Chwedl o Gymru by Meinir Wyn Edwards, published by Y Lolfa.
http://www.ylolfa.com/en/dangos.php?ISBN=9781784612672

Raymond

2 Likes

Sorry I was unable to be there. Unfortunately I will not be able to come now until November! Family over in July. Then holidays and weddings. Will not even be able to go to Derby in October…I really will be starting from scratch again.
Ruth

Yes, it was a really good session. We played a card game a bit like snap and read a story as well as the usual chat.
I won’t be there next time as I am off to boot camp so could be quite a small group, as Raymond says, but with even more chance to use your Welsh. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve woken up full of cold, so won’t be coming today. Hopefully see you all in September!

Well, I hope you are feeling better soon.

There were just six of us and there was quite a bit of conversation in Welsh but we did manage to play a couple of games that we hadn’t used before so we will have to make sure you get your chance at them next time!

Raymond

2 Likes

See you on Saturday, all being well. I don’t expect to sit outside though!

Raymond

Hope it goes well. Will look forward to seeing you all in November…
Ruth

Fingers crossed the pub is open this month!

Seven of us there and two were first-language speakers, one from the North and one from the South. Difficult to beat that!
Yes, we were very fortunate; it was good to be able to work on a Welsh fable together but better to hear the language spoken by those who have always known it ( and, yes, I did have to concentrate hard to keep up with the speed they speak!).
I think it may be better if we meet next time in the area where the upstairs bar has been added. It should protect us a bit if another noisy group comes along as they won’t be able to sit next to us.
Another suggestion is that we try an 11:30 start. The pub seems to be opening earlier and an earlier start would give us longer before it gets busy. Please put your coments on here and we can then decide.

Raymond

(Jane: Dee has started a thread on this forum for Amikumu. I got an Android app for it from Google Play.)

1 Like

Sounds like a good meeting. Really aim to be there in November. My train times would just fit in with 11.30am.
Ruth

Are we still aiming for an 11.30 start tomorrow?

Ooh, yes. I sent an email to Eileen and included the intention to start earlier and Malcolm is working tomorrow; everyone else can see this forum so we should be OK.
Bring a pen or pencil, you may need to make some notes (in English, of course). Unless you’ve got an exceptional memory, that is!
Raymond

1 Like

The earlier start did seem to work better so I suggest we stick with it. The volume does seem to increase noticeably after 2:30.

We aren’t meeting in December and there were some who couldn’t be there yesterday so I would like to wish everyone a Nadolig Llawen.

Raymond

2 Likes

I have a list of the fourth Saturdays in each month of 2018. They are:

January 27th
February 24th
March 24th (5 Saturday this month)
April 28th
May 26th
June 23rd (5 Saturday this month)
July 29th
August 25th
September 22nd (5 Saturday this month)
October 27th
November 24th
December 22nd (5 Saturday this month).

Would anyone like a meeting in December or is this date too close to Christmas? I will confirm the dates when you have had the opportunity to express your opinions.

Raymond

1 Like

Thanks Raymond. Dates in diary. December is always a no go for me.
Ruth

OK I’ll drop the December date and confirm the rest.

2018 dates are therefore:

January 27th
February 24th
March 24th (5 Saturday this month)
April 28th
May 26th
June 23rd (5 Saturday this month)
July 28th
August 25th
September 22nd (5 Saturday this month)
October 27th
November 24th

See you in January. Nadolig llawen,
Raymond

1 Like

Sorry, I’ve made a mistake in the list of dates. The July meeting should have been listed as being on the 28th.
Raymond

1 Like

See you all on Saturday for our first meeting in 2018.

Raymond