Let's say something about (handling and uploading) photos (on this forum)

Continuing the discussion from Booking: Tresaith Bootcamp June 2015:

1 Like

Flicker link to the whole album should bring people to the album on there I believe, but I still don’t know how smart this forum (talking of software/coding/application that there’d not be conflict with understanding) really is. It might also be that small portion of photos would appear on here just like on FB timeline for example, don’t know though.

The best way to save space is to put photos somewhere else (dropbox for example) and put direct link on here. It appears forum recognizes extenssions and sort them according to them (photos are displayed as photos, YouTube and Soundcloud links are embeded etc, etc). However 400 KB for example isn’t even 1 MB so this isn’t so much space taken though. I actually do whatever I feel more like it at the moment.

2 Likes

Here we go:
Go to your forum profile

In your profile, click the “preferences” button.

click on the pencil (edit) tab next to your profile picture

click on the tab “Upload picture” next to Custom picture check

Choose picture from your computer and when you’re satisfied with the choice you click “Open” to upload the picture to the server.

You’ll have to wait for some short time for the picture to upload then click “Save changes” button at tihe bottom.

Click “Save changes” in your profile too to save all your edits.

And you’re done.

Note that the size of picture is limited to 10240kb (about 10,2 MB)

so you’ll almost for sure have to resize or rearange the picture to meet requirements.

Well, this is basically it.

Enjoy editing profiles …

2 Likes

So now all I have to do is find a pic of a dragon that I really like!!! (Preferably an aging dragon!!)

Go ahead. Hope it will not blow too much fire. - hehe :slight_smile:

And this much represents me.

1 Like

Well, @henddraig this I’ve designed especially for you. Nope, it’s not the aging one. I bet you’re still young at heart so here we go with one of the youngest. :slight_smile:

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is very kind of yoy, Tatjana fach, but where are the babi’s wings??? :wink:

2 Likes

Haha. He hided them :slight_smile: literally.

Hmmm … now I have to search for another of my pictures to find one with wings. Ayayay … I didn’t even notice they’re missing. :slight_smile:

EDIT
OK, atemtp number 2. - hehe

Well, this one is not totally square so I don’t know how it’d be cropped. :slight_smile:

(oh, boy how I like to play with this tech toys … (read graphics and animation software and tools). :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Let’s go from dragons to a bit more serious themes right now. Since I’ve seen some members are not keen to how to resize and upload/post photos on here (size (or I say “weight”) of them is usually the main problem) I decided I’d say something about this here.

With posting photos even if they’re dropped/dragged or copied in here usually shouldn’t be such a problem but when you have photo of high quality or really big one it can be difficulty especially as this smart software allerts you immediately that photo is too big to be uploaded. So we’ll look at how to resize one photo first. You can use whatever software for editing graphics and photos you wish but I like paint.net the most (I draw with it a lot too) and what’s the most great thing bout it, it’s fully functional and free as it’s open source one so in my screenshots I’ll use this one.

Usually when photo is too big to upload here you’ll get this message

So to resize the photo:
Open your graphics editing software and within it open the desired photo (this one you know I presume)

and resize it.

You can do this with
resizing it by percentage (at least in paint.net it is so but I believe other graphics editing software has it also)
Dropbox - Screenshot 2015-09-11 14.19.38.png - Simplify your life
I went for 25 % here what is for this measures perfectly enough for the forum

resizing it by pixles

or you just reduce the resolution of the picture. The size would not be reduced but the “weight” of it will be as it will be of a lower quality but still not too low not to be displayed properly. Default resolution is usually 72.00 pixles per inch however I went for 39 pixles per inch what is more common resolution suitable for the forums.

When resizing, also pay attention that you always keep aspect ratio (usually this setting is automatically switched (checked) on. If not, check it so you will preserve the proportions of the picture not to hazard with too stretched or too bashed together things on the photo.

Original

Properly resized photo

If aspect ratio is switched off

When you are satisfied with the size i suggest you save your resized picture with different name so you would preserve original one in quality and size as it is.

You could also crop the picture but since you usually want the whole picture to be published as you’ve shot it, it doesn’t appear suitable method to me at the moment.

Now when we saved our picture in suitable size for posting to the forum we’re ready to upload it. The simplest way to do this is to simply drag picture from your folder where yu saved it into the text box…

Before you drag photo in you check that cursor is always where you want to drop a picture.

And we’re finished uploading the picture.

You should always hit enter button after the code which appears in textbox so that picture will really appear as it should. The same goes with posting pictures as a link which we’ll take a look now.

Posting with the link is much easier because you don’t need cropping and resizing and the image is actually not stored on forum servers but where you’ve previously stored it. For these puposes I use dropbox, but you can use any clud drive for this (like google drive, One Drive etc) or even some of photo storing sites like PhotoBucket, Flickr (hope I’ve spelled this properly) and what’s more to it.

So you get the direct link to your picture which appears something like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjpvooa7ep8m6ua/20150903_175406.jpg?dl=0 (this one is from dropbox) and copy it into the text box.

You’re done.

In link watch for extensions like .jpg, .png or .gif. If those extensions are not there somewhere in the link then photo will not appear as photo but as link.

If you work with dropbox and it is sinchronized with your computer the thing is even simpler. You don’t need to go into your dropbox acount to get the link but simply go to your dropbox sinchronized folder on your computer, right click on the picture you want to get link for and click “Share dropbox link”. it will copy it into your clipboare and all what you still need to do is copy it into your textbox on the forum.

Well, this is for computer users. If there’s a need to do something for phone users, let me know however I’m not too keen to post things on the forum via phone, but I’ll do my best to research that area aswell if needed.

So this is basically it.

Happy photographing, resizing and posting! :smile:

Post a bit edited later on so I could ad some things I forgot to ad earlier but are quite important

3 Likes

Well, posting the link to this topic in one another thread as one of the members wanted the instructions on how to upload the photos on here, I’ve read through a bit and saw I’ve mentioned PhotoBucket as the photo storage form which you can post links on here however I’d like to inform you that for quite aome months now already, PhotoBucket doesn’t offer third party photo hosting anymore for free, what means if you’re not the paying member of their site, you can’t post links to other sites or embed photos on other sites - well you can post and embed, but it’s useless because photos will not be visible.

To show you what I’m talking about here’s one screenshot of one of the forums where I was admin and I’ve posted benner I’ve previously uploaded to PhotoBucket. The banner does not appear but instead of it you get this message:

For the info - to get the 3rd party hosting you have to take the highest plan - 500+ which costs $399,99 and is billed only annually. So if you already have acount on PhotoBucket and it’s free or payed by other - lower plan the pictures will not be visible on other sites like it once was.

1 Like

I still use imgur.com which is free, but obliges you to jump through a few hoops to link directly to your images.

2 Likes

I use Flickr, which is free or you can get a few extra features with a paid account. Linking works in most places. I’ll just test it now here…

Where did the path go?

Yes, that seems to be OK.

3 Likes

Flickr is good choice. It’s Yahoo’s so whoever has Yahoo acount I believe that one can use Flickr too. I have Yahoo acount and Flickr too but since have paying plan with DropBox I use it for now instead. I believe Google Drive should be OK too, but I’m not sure for Microsoft’s Drive though. I have the acount there too but actually never used it to link photos somewhere.

You can use this thread to test your providers of course if you want.

EDIT to add that I’ve just tested Google Drive and Microsoft’s OneDrive only to realize they’re no good at all. You can post the links but not photos to appear through that. Embeding doesn’t work either.

1 Like

I’ve read through a bit and saw I’ve mentioned PhotoBucket as the photo storage form which you can post links here however I’d like to inform you that for quite some months now already, PhotoBucket doesn’t offer third-party photo hosting anymore for free. But you can still upload a full Facebook profile picture without cropping. What means if you’re not a paying member of their site, you can’t post links to other sites or embed photos on other sites - well you can post and embed, but it’s useless because photos will not be visible. The best way to save space is to put photos somewhere else (dropbox for example) and put direct link on here. It appears forum recognizes extensions and sort them according to them (photos are displayed as photos, YouTube and Soundcloud links are embeded etc, etc).

Hello first.

Well, may I ask what is the purpose of quoting the part of my post which is in your post not marked to be quoted?

If the purpose is to reply to this quote, then you need to write the reply also.

If you wanted to quote the text from my post, then you should push the " button at the top of the typing window and put the text inbetween.

Your post appears as that you’d write it, but of course the text is quoted from one of my previous posts.

However, thank you for bumping this topic up for all the others. I believe it is still useful but long forgotten as no one ever wanted to globally pin it for such purpose.

Hwyl.
Tatjana

Seeing as this thread has popped up again, I’ll add that Flickr is no longer part of Yahoo, but you can still create a free account and linking still works fine. The free account has less storage than the “Pro” account, but it’s quite sufficient for hosting a few photos to post to any forum that doesn’t have it’s own photo storage. When sharing from your photostream, use the “Embed” option.

Sheep & lambs