Letter "K" in pre-16th century Welsh

but Iolo was a learned scholar (self taught) and would have known of those - he was a total genious, that’s how he got away with it and I don’t think that we will never be able to separate the facts from the fiction he made up, because his fiction was based on what he thought people actually did and was probably real to him and I suspect was extremely close to the actual truth.

Runes - we should use runes

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s going to happen

Duw duw … wanting to change the alphabet without one mention of Ogham!. This cannot stand :smiley:

1 Like

I was told in school by teachers that the Welsh use of ‘v’ was lost due to the early English Printing presses refusing to use v for Welsh translations. Because the frequency of v was too much compared to English use. They did not want to have so many v printing blocks. Seems a weak excuse to me if true. Which makes me wonder…is it a made up story

Is this a common myth?

I recall a local historian claiming that the Welsh rarely used the letter ‘s’ or ‘sh’ (I forget) before the 1700s and struggled with its pronunciation when more English words came into the language. (cwtsh probably from french coucher etc)
However this may be inaccurate. Maybe there is truth or I am gullible :smiley:

Well honestly…we’ll never change anything in this world with that kind of attitude.

1 Like

Sounds like it, yes. :wink:

LIke the story that the fake decimalised numbers were made up by a Patagonian businessman in the nineteenth century to make his accounts easier to do - that doesn’t ring quite true, does it? Accounts are surely set out in figures, not words. I’ve slightly ranted about this in the new book (out end of next month, by the way!).

1 Like

I quite like the alphabet for Galach in the new Dune film:

galach alphabet2

1 Like

Can one ‘slightly’ rant?

2 Likes

I admit it does take some practice.

5 Likes

Not ranting…just passionately sharing thoughts… and anyway if everyone is ranting here, feel no guilt :smiley:

Reminds me… Welsh phrase of the day: Rhefru a rhuo - Ranting and raving (literal: raging and roaring) :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

No I meant you proposing to do changes such as adding V to represent [v] like in Breton

That’s what I meant as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know this is a joke but the way Welsh works is too ingrained the way it is and your propositions as of now could be seen as a disruption. Welsh isn’t going to switch to the official letter for [v] to V and start using F for [f].

Perhaps we could change English to use the Welsh system. You wouldn’t beliefe how offten I do that without thinking :wink: :joy:

1 Like

It would make a lot more sense than the system we’ve got at the moment…

1 Like

Ddat us y feru gwd audua, Deborah - pyrhaps wi siwd trau ut awt ffor y wic or tw? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You don’t know that. At some point in the past they decided to switch from k to c and from v to ff, didn’t they?
All it would take nowadays would be an apocalypse and/or general breakdown of society - I mean…really…is THAT too much to ask?

2 Likes

Ai wŵd strygl wydd ddy dipddongs ai ddinc, byt it is ffyn tw trai :joy:

2 Likes