Level 3 South - new lessons published

And indeed it is …

4 Likes

I think it often gets swapped out for ‘disgwyl’… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Regarding Left = fy ngadael
Is this ok in “person” thingies other than 1st person.
i.e. is it one of those things when the pronouns doesn’t relate to the subject?
So would he left still use fy ngadael as the action of leaving?
Thanks john.

Me again :slight_smile:
In a slightly lighter vein -
OK, so we didn’t need to know why glaswellt (grass) used glas, but now I’m interested. I’m guessing it’s to do with the old meaning of glas. Was it a sort of aqua marine pastel greeny glass colour?

1 Like

I think it changes based on the person.
e.g. Mae hi’n moyn ei adael e - she wants to leave him or Mae hi’n moyn eu gadael - she wants to leave them.

I’m not certain though, so there’s a good chance I’m wrong :grin:

3 Likes

Exactly this :star: :star2:

2 Likes

Glas in glaswellt (and all sorts of other “young / exciting / full of life meanings” isn;t so much a colour as a feeling, a vibrancy, a living-ness.

Think the spring, think the brand new leaves just sprouting from their buds, that green is glas (even though it’s obviously gwyrdd!).

It’s a youthful, springy, new life kind of word.

And now you know why I help people speak Welsh, rather than writing dictionaries.! It’s just, you know how people say “there’s no word in English for hiraeth”? Well, there’s certainly no word in English for glas…

12 Likes

I haven’t heard the lesson, but assume glaswellt is chosen over gwair - I can see that gwair is strictly speaking hay according to the dictionary, but it doesn’t seem to be used that way where I am and I thought the choice here was a bit variable - a disglaid/panad sort of thing?

Exactly that :slight_smile:

Used on road signs a lot, and is used in the northern lessons. Interchangeable they are :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Anthony

I always thought of gwair being generally southern for grass and the standard/gog being glaswellt, but this may be a case of general variability east to west, valley to valley etc and not specifically north or south I guess.

There are plenty more ways in Welsh of talking about grass as well, so I guess it depends on what sort of grass, grows where as well.

1 Like

Thanks so much, Iestyn. That explanation was much more than I was expecting!

1 Like

I’ve really been enjoying the recent lessons. They’re a bit more challenging than usual and seem a bit more idomatic (is that a word?) so there’s a greater feeling of satisfaction from mastering them.

They’ve also been great for getting me through an otherwise dull half hour on a cross-trainer.

3 Likes

Thanks for this excellent, poetic description of the “experience” of colour @Iestyn. In my physics classes, I described blue light as having a wavelength between 450 and 495 nm and green between 495 and 570 nm but everywhere else I think of colours in terms of my wife’s eyes, a beautiful sunset or a van Goch painting. The subjective experience is much more powerful for me, so it’s easy to understand why different cultures and environments give rise to different experiences of colour.

I am glad to see that you placed the “untranslateable hiraeth” myth in quotation marks. I’ve never believed that Welsh is the only language which can convey this universal emotion.

1 Like

Two weeks ago I heard Iestyn (in person) use “licio” (admittedly he was using it to describe how he is able to speak a more-Northern form of the language if he’s speaking to someone who has done the Northern course at bootcamp)

I’d love a cross-over lesson at some point! Aran and Cat taking a Southern lesson with Iestyn and Cat doing a Northern lesson!

6 Likes

Although he will explain the difference too

TBH, my first language Swansea friend (you cant get much more Southern than that, without getting your feet wet), says licio. Well actually, it sounds a bit like lico.

Well Lesson 14 has shown me that my whole life has been a lie!

I’ve been “casau-ing” when I should have been “gas-ing”.

:D:D:D

3 Likes

It’s been more than two months now since the lasy Level 3 lesson was produced - are any more intended or is that it?

Hi Dai. My understanding is that the Northern and Southern courses essentially come off the same hymn sheet so to speak and are regionalised where needed.

So where there is a Northern lesson, there will be a Southern lesson to come. I’m assuming 25 will be in level 3.

2 Likes

Definitely more coming - just sometimes life gets in the way, especially when there are 4 young children involved :slight_smile:

3 Likes