Levels in Dysgu Cymraeg?

I know SSiW takes such a different approach to language learning that there may not be an exact equivalent, but I’m wondering where I would place myself if I wanted to access some of the Dysgu Cymraeg events. I’m on Level 2 Challenge 21 but I have no idea if that makes me more likely to benefit from Sylfaen or Canolradd courses - or for that matter, the equivalent categories in books that are designed for learners. Is there anyone who uses both systems who could give me a pointer?

And in case other people are interested, here is the link to the Dysgu Cymraeg summer school (free to join, you just need to register)
:

I think that it pays to be ambitious. I did a Canolradd course online with Nant Gwtheyrn, and it was fine. I found that I was more willing to speak than some others, though I made a lot more mistakes, particularly with mutations. I blundered happily on while they hesitated and thought about the grammar. Since finishing Level 3 I have done two Uwch 1 courses online and I am currently on my lunch break from a third. Although I am learning and consolidating a lot, I must confess to finding it somewhat slow and tedious. I’m quite glad that traditional courses are not available in my area - I would have given up early on. Thank you SSiW!
The best bit about classes is the chance to talk to other learners in small groups. Dysgu Cymraeg events should be good for that.
So - I suggest starting with Canolradd. They are generally very good about moving you if you think that you have made a wrong choice.
Sue

7 Likes

:rofl:
True!
To be fair, all the tutors I met were prepared, nice and enthusiastic - so nothing to complain in this sense. But traditional, long courses are just not for me. :sleeping:

I didn’t do a structured course, so I don’t know exactly what kind of practice you’ve been doing besides the challenges - which can make quite difference in how easy or hard, and how boring or interesting you might find “classic” lessons, I believe.

I’ve only participated to random lessons and groups of all levels and the main difference to me seemed that in Sylfaen tutors speak unnaturally slowly (and use English more often to explain rules or translate), most exercises are pre-structured -like specific questions, repetitions, pre-taught vocabulary, reading, etc.,

In Canolradd +, teachers speak more fluently, practice trickier grammar and there’s more chatting involved (what us SSiWers are usually better at, compared to traditional students!)

I did Level 1 and 2 in one summer, and a few months later went to Wales for a week straight to all-levels chat groups or spending time with people speaking at normal speed to me all the time, and I survived! :sweat_smile:

So for classes I would agree it pays to be ambitious and try a more advanced course - especially if it’s a short one like one-day, weekend or week.

Books:
I started reading way later, and I was happy to start from Mynediad books because I could follow and enjoy the story without needing a dictionary - i don’t have the patience to stop and search for words all the time!
Also I’ve recently read about how reading easy books may help consolidate structures and vocabulary in a more efficient way rather than keeping on thinking in own first language and translating word by word in your head every time so I think it may be worth starting lower and going up, instead.

But in any case, it’s all a bit subjective, so this is just my opinion, and I’m sure you’ll be fine whatever you go for - in worse case, you can always chance as Sue said!

4 Likes

I am about to start challenge 10 of level 3 this week. I have also been wondering what to do next in my progression to confident Welsh speaking. Just wondering what others who have managed to become proficient Welsh speakers did after completing level 3?

Thanks @Betterlatethan that’s really helpful. So far I’ve only ever done Duolingo, apart from SSiW, so I don’t have very much to compare it to!

Thanks @gisella-albertini, very useful to hear about your experiences in different settings. And that’s a great point about the reading - I hadn’t thought about it like that but it makes a lot of sense. So that’s another vote for giving Canolradd a go then!

1 Like

Hi @robert-ridenhour, although it’s not that recent a thread you might find some useful suggestions on here:

People who do our courses then go along to a Sadwrn Siarad, or join a Dysgu Cymraeg course, usually find that they don’t know as much varied vocabulary as the others, and don’t know as much about grammar, but can often speak with a lot of confidence which makes up for it.

It’s usually best to be ambitious and aim higher - you’ll have a bit of catching up to do in some areas, but you’ll learn more and have more chance of speaking a lot of Welsh.

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks @Deborah-SSi!