Lions tour of New Zealand

That would be brilliant!! Did O’Gara and Stringer do the same?

I also agree here. I really rate Henshaw. I think they understated his importance in large parts of the Blues game. I think he kept SBW quieter than he could have been for large parts. I also think he looked good this morning.

I think Watson has the edge in the race so far this tour. However, he’s proved to be more of an impact player than North so far. So starting North with Watson as an option would be a good option.

I agree (again!!) about Williams. The Blues played him well and Sexton didn’t help (I feel Biggar is back-up to Farrell at the moment, I’ve not been sold by Sexton).

Ooh, good question. Not for the Tests, I’m fairly sure, because it would have made my head explode (they’re two of my all-time least favourite players!) - but did they get any game time together as Lions? I’d probably have stopped watching…:wink:

Agree with you about Henshaw. At a pinch, I’d probably still rather Roberts was out there, but I can see why he’s not.

I think North had an excellent first outing - hungry for work, which is what sometimes goes away when he’s not on top form - no chance to showboat, but there’s a fair bit of luck in that too - as well as the fact that he draws a lot of defensive attention. But he’s a Test match animal, and I can’t see Watson ever getting the nod over North in reasonable form.

Agree about Sexton. He’s also done better than I ever thought he would, but I always used to think he was flaky, and he’s clearly not at the top of his game right now. Given my bias against Farrell (did I mention that kick he missed? ;-)) that means Biggar would currently be my Test 10…:wink:

1 Like

I won’t mention that test in South Africa…

I agree Sinkler was mostly good today - but what a daft penalty he gave away. Off the ball, no arms and on the 22. Triple whammy ! Hopefully someone will read him the Riot Act.

That was very silly. It was the no arms, it wasn’t that late. The Lions scrum wasn’t as solid either. Henderson had some good moments but I’m not sold on his scrummaging. Not compared to the other 4 locks on tour.

That did rather cement O’Gara’s position ahead of Stringer in my all-time list. :scream:

@Richard636363 yeah, I hate that kind of stuff. I still bear a grudge against Liam Williams for a shoulder-charge that gave away a Test win against the Boks in South Africa, when all we needed was a covering tackle (hell, even a failed cover tackle would at least have left them needing a touchline conversion).

Where was he packing down? I wouldn’t want to point the finger at any one with Dank ahead of them. It can be a complicated business figuring out who’s not doing what they should in any given scrum - and he’s been pretty solid for Ireland…

Definitely Alun Wyn and Kruis as Test second row. And with Farrell now having missed a couple of sitters , could be a chance for Halfpenny to reprise his 2013 exploits .

1 Like

@AnthonyCusack That reminds of the wry quip from Mike Burton after he was sent off at Twickenham after two minutes for a dodgy tackle . His plea was ‘It couldn’t have been that late’

2 Likes

He was definitely early the next one

This aged one likes FB Leigh bach, W George N, Tommy S, C J Joseph, Jon Davies, HB Biggar, R Webb. Pack - not qualified to choose!

I got the bench almost completely wrong! No Dank :smile:

Lions: L Halfpenny (Wales); A Watson (England), J Davies (Wales), B Te’o (England), G North (Wales); J Sexton, C Murray (both Ireland); M Vunipola, J George (both England), T Furlong (Ireland), M Itoje, G Kruis (both England), P O’Mahony (capt, Ireland), S O’Brien (Ireland), T Faletau (Wales).

Replacements: K Owens (Wales), J McGrath (Ireland), K Sinckler (England), I Henderson (Ireland), S Warburton (Wales), G Laidlaw (Scotland), O Farrell, E Daly (both England).

OK, I’ll nod to Sexton and Connor Murray, but why no Welsh half backs on the bench and why is Sam Warburton on the bench not in the starting line up?

This is technically still a warm-up.

Gatland and Warburton have both said he’s got stiff competition. Captaincy is just a title, form is key. He’s a good squad man Warbs.

Resting Biggar and Webb I suspect. I also think he’s giving Laidlaw another shot to stamp his claim.

Sorry, Anthony, I didn’t notice Laidlaw in the list of bench-sitters! I rate him and would like him at least on the bench for the first test!

Interesting. I doubt he’d pick him over Webb and Murray. Arguably 2nd and 3rd best scrum halves (behind Aaron Smith - NZ) in World rugby.

We could discuss this for ever!! I honestly think poor Greg suffers for playing in a Scotland team which is not exactly the shining star of the six nations! If he gets a really good pack able to get the ball and backs to chuck it to, kick it for etc., he might surprise us!!

You were pretty close! Particularly since you only left JD out for injury, which gives you Farrell on the bench.

Looks to me as though AWJ is being rested - he’s had quite a bit of game time. I’ll be surprised if he starts against the Chiefs (and Gatland has talked about keeping NZ guessing).

I think it’s essentially a Test XV plus a challenge/opportunity for Sexton, Itoje and O’Mahony - all of whom look to have a strong bench case at least.

Going to be interesting to see what happens with Farrell’s injury and the 10 shirt against the Chiefs. I suppose it would end up being a reverse of the first Test, but it would be tough to ask Sexton to start just 3 days after starting against the Maori, so he might be in pole position now. In which case it’s fingers crossed he really has got his mojo back (which Gatland is saying).

1 Like

This is why I love the Lions. Even if we’re unsuccessful it’s so exciting picking test teams. If this was a club team…well imagine?! The depth is excellent in most positions. (I won’t mention Dank)

Must admit that’s the most interesting bit for me! Never particularly interested in the games, apart from generally wanting NZ to lose just occasionally:wink:

1 Like