Lions tour of New Zealand

The average weight of the New Zealand pack in 1987 was 15st 9lbs (99.5kg). The average weight of the Welsh backs in 2015 was 15st 10lbs (100kg)

1 Like

Yes, but it was a lot less in 1971, surely?

I assume so if backs now weigh the same as forwards used to.

Professionalism makes people larger because you have more time to train. Plus the game is now faster so theyā€™re training in more sprint and explosive performance. That builds muscle which adds weight. The players will do more anaerobic and weights based training with sporadic endurance focused sessions. This also adds weight (effect of hypertrophy).

So as George North now weighs the same as an average forward from the 1980s, yes would be the answer. The difference between 1971 and 1987, however, is probably negligible.

1 Like

I like Liam Williams at 15. How about Halfpenny on the wing for the autumn series ? LH doesnā€™t offer anything in attack as he used to whereas LW can spot an opening as get through it - as per the wonder try in the first Test. Query : in which position will Saracens play LW bearing in mind that Goode has been exceptional for them at 15 for some years ?

2 Likes

It may well be what happens, and I can see the thinking behind itā€¦ but I wouldnā€™t go for it myself.

I think Williams is a defensive weakness at 15, whereas Halfpenny doesnā€™t just defuse high balls with utter reliability, he can and does still turn them into attack - a different attacking style to Williams, itā€™s true, but it can be just as unexpected and effective. For me, the current perception that Halfpenny doesnā€™t offer in attack has been over-cooked - heā€™ll go for it when itā€™s on (and can create the chance with how he takes high balls), he just wonā€™t do the give-it-a-go-when-it-doesnā€™t-look-on stuff that sometimes reaps rewards for Williams (but sometimes goes wrong).

And, to be honest, for all the talk about Williams as the attacking choice, I thought he was pretty quiet against the ABs, Oā€™Brienā€™s try asideā€¦ :slight_smile: Yep, itā€™ll be interesting to see what Saracens do with himā€¦

I agree with @aran - mmm - this is becoming a habit! :wink: about Leigh H! I also think Liam W can be a bit dangerous with his rushing in where others (more experienced) fear/know-better-than to tread!

Biggar is better than both of them under a high ball.

1 Like

Off his own kick, he might just be the best in the world. In defence, Iā€™d say thereā€™s nothing in it between him and Halfpenny (although if I had to choose one of them to be there, okay, Iā€™d probably choose Biggar for the extra height)ā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™ll be interesting who steps in to deputise for Biggar. Iā€™m yet to see Sam Davies find form at international. I donā€™t think Patchell is good enough or mature enough yet. Itā€™ll also be good to see more centres coming through. Scott Williams, JD and Jamie Roberts are all 30 or close to. Still got miles in them but would be good to see some other options emerging.

1 Like

Heā€™s done much better than Iā€™d expected at the Ospreys - I didnā€™t think much of him at u20 level, even though he had some good results. But no, Iā€™m not convinced by him as an international - although since heā€™s proven me wrong by going well regionally, Iā€™d better not be too dismissiveā€¦:wink:

I think a 10 with real pace is a huge advantage, so Iā€™ve been hoping Patchell would come through - I thought he looked almost ready a couple of years ago, but heā€™s stagnated since then.

Tyler Morgan looks like he might be the real dealā€¦

1 Like

I agree that LH is the better defensive full back (although he did drop a sitter on the 22 in one of the provincial games in NZ ) but we desperately need some X factor at 15 and LH doesnā€™t provide it these days. He did in 2013 but maybe playing in France has dulled his senses. Cf some of the latter Scarlets games where LW et al have been sensational. Btw, on a recent one dayer at the London Welsh Centre a guy told me he was from Gorseinon. Upon my saying thatā€™s where Leigh Halfpenny is from he replied ā€™ I donā€™t know him - is he here today ?ā€™ Clearly not a rugby fan.

2 Likes

Yeah, he did, didnā€™t he? I remember thinking that might have been his Test series gone right thereā€¦

I think we need flatter ball all the time and all the way through the backs, and to mix it up more, earlier, rather than looking for magic from one positionā€¦ :slight_smile:

The Scarlets have been playing some beautiful rugby, itā€™s true. I donā€™t reckon that would change if you stuck Halfpenny at 15 for them, thoughā€¦:wink:

On the subject of the Scarlets, Iā€™d love to see Steff Evans given a shot this Autumn. Heā€™s been superb for the Scarlets. Now that Liam Williams has moved to London itā€™d be great to see LH come back to Wales and slot in.

Yeah, Iā€™m just not sure about Patch. Heā€™s very driven and has talent. I really donā€™t know if I can see him stepping up. Would be great if he did.

1 Like

What is the consensus about that decision ? I have placed it firmly in the 'If it goes in our favour itā€™s a great decision - if it goes against us itā€™s an outrage ā€™ folder. It might have looked better if Ken Owens hadnā€™t actually caught the ball (accidentally of course) . My wife is a New Zealander which makes life interesting on these occasions.

1 Like

The definition of the law is interesting. Someone showed me the wording at the weekend. One of the key facts about offside from a knock on is that you have to prevent someone else playing the ball. Technically Owens didnā€™t. Also, Iā€™ve not seen it since the game finished but Gatland claimed Kaino played Williams in the air. Which would also nullify the penalty. At the time I felt the original decision was correct. Then, being very biased, I convinced myself the new decision was right.

1 Like

I thought it could have ended up given as anything from a penalty to the Lions (I didnā€™t think there was much real ā€˜go for the ballā€™ from Read, and flapping your hand in the general direction of the ball doesnā€™t make it okay to take someone out in the air) to a penalty to the ABsā€¦ add to that a query over whether or not the ball actually went forwards (I think it pretty clearly went backwards, so was fine for Owens to play it)ā€¦ then, if he was off-side (which he wasnā€™t), he clearly couldnā€™t avoid being touched by the ball, so Iā€™d say accidental is a fair call, since he deliberately drops the ball immediately after it ends up in his handsā€¦ but at that stage, since the Lions gain no advantage from Owens letting the ball go, play should have continued, and the ABs probably scoreā€¦

So Iā€™d sayā€¦

• Read should have been penalised, failing that
  • Owens should have played it and made it safe, failing that
  • play should have continued to the give the ABs a chance at a try, failing that
  • accidental off-side and an attacking scrum was probably the fairest way out of the whole messā€¦:wink:

[Of course, for safetyā€™s sake, Iā€™d like to take this opportunity to remind you that your wife is right.]

1 Like

I have been practicing the technique of not discussing, reviewing or questioning refs decisions that are done, dusted and cannot be changed. :angel: It does make life more relaxing!

Yes, surely the young guns can be given a go eg against Georgia in the autumn series, preferably with instructions to just throw the ball about - kicking verboten !

2 Likes

Be fun to see a young side out. I wouldnā€™t mind if they lost either, if it was given the young guns a shot and they tried new things. Like the regional games on the Lions tour.

1 Like