List of meetups in Newport and surrounding area

Sian and I hope to be there tonight and at the library in Cwmbran tomorrow morning.

We are spoilt for choice with venues to visit at the mo :slightly_smiling_face:

John

Hi everyone! My task of winkling out the invisible Welsh speakers in Newport has had an initial success. Did you know that Horton’s Coffee House (just over the bridge opposite the University of South Wales) has two Welsh-speaking members of staff? The owner is a lovely man, who is very supportive of Welsh, even though he doesn’t speak it himself, and I have been over with a big “Use your Welsh when you see this sign” poster, and orange badges for Eleri and Josie (the Welsh speakers). Neither of them is full time, but their boss is making sure that they have their badges on at work.

So the reason for posting here is (a) do pop in if you’re in town and in need of refreshment, and hopefully you’ll catch one of them, and (b) if anyone wants a venue for a chat group or similar they might be able to juggle the timetables so that they can be sure a Welsh server is working at that time, if they know you’re coming. I’d do the asking if you’d like me to! Just shout. It would be great to be able to support this small independent business when they’re keen themselves to support the language.

3 Likes

@Deborah-SSi - nice one for the email? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Attention people of Newport and the surrounding area!

We’ll be holding two Clwb Finyl (https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/clwb-finyl-music-appreciation-society/10542/38 - follow the link for more info) sessions at the Cwtsh (during ‘Siop a Siarad’) on Stow Hill, the first on 24th February and and another on 3rd March.

Diolch!

Thomas

1 Like

Very enjoyable chat with the group this morning. Apologies for my lateness I had a geography mishap. Diolch yn fawr iawn. Hopefully I’ll be able to make next Saturday.

2 Likes

Bore da , nice to have met you. Practice makes perfect in Welsh and geography.:wink:
Dave

1 Like

Nice to meet you too Dave.

Did I see somewhere that there is a meet Ina Thursday in Tredegar house?

I have heard rumours. I have it on my list here:
http://chat.cymru/welsh/meetups.html?region=south-east

This is the info I took from the flyer - best to email Helen Young before hand though. Let me know if the meeting’s on or not, so I can update the list.

Tŷ Tredegar, Casnewydd/Tredegar House, Newport NP10 8YW
Come and practice your Welsh in the cafe at Tredegar House. Free event for speakers of Welsh at all levels. For further details contact: helen.young@coleggwent.ac.uk

1 Like

Gwych! Nice to meet you Conor. Hopefully see you again at the Cwtsh.

Thomas

2 Likes

Just a quick message - tomorrow’s meeting at the Cwtsh (3/3/18) has been postponed due to the bad weather.

1 Like

A date for your diaries - Our bimonthly, bilingual quiz will be back on Friday, 16th March 2018.

@jamesmahoney @cuckoo @llanddinol @ji_1 @Conor92

Please see the poster below for details

Croeso i bawb!

2 Likes

Just a reminder that Menter Iaith Casnewydd’s bilingual quiz takes place tomorrow (16/3/18) at the Gôl Football Centre on Nash Road! Croeso cynnes i bawb!

1 Like

Friday already?? gosh.

I’m driving Ron, and @cuckoo and @llanddinol expressed an interest, so we’ll be one team at least…

2 Likes

Shwmae?

Our brilliant, bimonthly, bilingual quiz will return on Friday, 18th May 2018.

@jamesmahoney @cuckoo @llanddinol @ji_1 @Conor92

Will the SSIW regulars retain their crown?

Details are on the poster below.

Croeso i bawb!

1 Like

Woo hoo!

I think - not that I’ve been counting - we’re the only 3 times champions. Who would have thought obscure flag knowledge would come in so handy.

Mmmm, there may be a team of ringers waiting for us to put money on it.!!

if it gets the numbers up!

Just a reminder that our bilingual quiz takes place at 7pm on Friday at the Gôl Centre on Nash Road!

Croeso cynnes i bawb!

1 Like

Menter Iaith Casnewydd are holding a Welsh walk at 2pm at Newport Wetlands on Thursday, 21st June. SSiW learners are more than welcome to join us!

Diolch

Thomas

1 Like