Listening - an idea

I think it does, very much indeed - I’d love to be able to measure it sensibly - and I’m also intending to self-test with learning under the influence of alcohol, to see what kind of difference that does/doesn’t make. There are certainly lots of times when your conscious mind just interrupts and slows you down :sunny:

1 Like

O, boy, no hope for me! I don’t drink any alcohol anymore for about 10 or even more years. - haha :slight_smile: :sunny:

2 Likes

My experience with learning under the influence of alcohol (a nice glass of wine or so) has been that it increases my speed of production. It also improves my pronunciation, which I believe is because my mouth/the muscles around my vocal chords are more relaxed. I’ve found everything has to be a lot “looser” when I’m speaking Cymraeg than when I’m speaking English for it to sound correct (and me to not get tongue-tied). Because of this, I’ve started using Cymraeg as a vocal warmup for performances! :blush:

2 Likes

This is the kind of thing I think might well be broadly replicatable - but I want to see how it shapes up in a ‘several sessions in a row’ kind of environment before I start muttering about it on a broader basis…:wink:

Heheheh…probably a good idea. :wink: I would also be interested in differentiating between alcohol’s effects on learning new material v. recall of previously learned material. Those are two very different neurological processes. We know that alcohol lowers inhibitions. We also know that taking a text intoxicated (or extremely tired, which creates a similar neurological state as drunkenness) is a very bad idea. I’m sure there’s got to be research out there somewhere on the effects of alcohol on consolidation of memories. That brings me to the flip side with caffeine and wondering what effects that might have as well. Unfortunately all my textbooks on this stuff are far away at my parents house. Isn’t neuroendocrinology fun?

1 Like

Oh, ja … in this case (as that I didn’t know that and am just too stubborn to admit the fact) I better stop learning Welsh because when I’m not tired it’s only Saturday and Sunday. Now I know everything what I needed so I better stop either moaning or learning. (or maybe both) :slight_smile:

And when changing the environment during learning (e.g.alcohol) remember the diver experiment - context dependent memory etc…

1 Like

This study was looking at the effects of staying up all night studying v. studying what you can and then getting some sleep before the exam. Because the brain consolidates memories while we sleep, it’s better to get some sleep. So as long as you’re going to bed after doing a lesson, studying tired will do you more good than not studying at all! :smile:

As long as you don’t get into slumber during the lesson like I did yesterday. I’ve woken up just in time to hear @Iestyn say “Brilliant!” … at the end of the Challenge :slight_smile:

What I studied? Honestly said - I don’t know. :slight_smile:

On a serious note, I find it much easier to understand if I WATCH, ie S4C, as much as possible. I think it works on the same principle as teaching a child to read with a picture book - I find programmes like Heno and the news particularly helpfull as you hear all the different acccents.
On a non serious note (Honestly) is the fact that when we see pictures of the various bootcamps everyone appears to have some sort of alchoholic drink with them an indication of the (Lovely) kind of people who like to learn Welsh,? After all the people on the camps are obviously very good at speaking and understanding to be able to go to be able to go!!!

I think there’s a definite connection…:wink:

I was dead sirious with what I said though :slight_smile:

Just to let you know. That theory of listening to something while sleeping can improve learning proved to be total fail. I have gone through the same challenge then yesterday today - totaooy awake and at ready this time - and OH, AH … I could produce even less then before.

Soooooooooo … don’t sleep while you listen or EVEN learn. This will do you no good. :slight_smile:

Testing the theory of influence of alcohol on learning process I’ll leave up to you. :sunny:

I think the effect of alcohol on learning is almost entirely detrimental, but the effect of a small amount of alcohol on the ability to spaek a second language is not much short of miraculous. That’s why we like to give plenty of opportunity for bootcampsers to have a drink while relaxing. Entirely optional, but well worth the effort (if you call “going to the ship” an effort…)

4 Likes

Hehe. On not serious note - now I know why I can speak English that good. :slight_smile:

Based on primary sources, personal experimentation or gut instinct? :sunny:

I had always assumed that it was not the alcohol, but the blessing of the Reverend James that gave confidence and succour to us Welsh learners

2 Likes

Aran or Iestyn once suggested I change my nom de plume to Reverend James I sometimes regret not doing that… :wink: But, saying that a big highlight on a Bootcamp is pottering down to The Ship, around five o’clock, when Ianto, Phil and Steve hold court. I’ve learnt so much basic conversation chatting with them over a pint. God, bless them!!!

3 Likes

If you want volunteers for a double-blind(-drunk) controlled trial, then I’m your man. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aren’t researchers beginning to take “sleep learning” more seriously again now? (after it being categorically dismissed previously). (Can’t give you any sources, but I thought I had read it somewhere).

Edit: @tatjana oops, I see you already addressed this. Well, I really think it’s best to try to sleep regular hours and study when you are awake and receptive, although in practice, I don’t always manage to sleep regular hours.