Listening exercises - problems

Is this the app, or just navigating to the website? We’re probably going to need input from @kinetic when he finishes travelling back to the UK…

Aha - this sounds like the (internally) famous ‘missing blurbs’ - can you still see them for 2.07 and 2.06? Are you doing northern or southern? Diolch!

With the blessing of @aran I’ll put the links to all listening exercises L1 links to thranscripts here when I come home. I also gathered everything what says directly on the old layout lessons page where translations are written too so I can put this somewhere for you to download also. I hope you’ll be able to wait approximately 3 or 4 hours for me to come home and sit behind the computer in order to post them.

Have a great time until then. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great; thanks!

Also good to hear that listening exercises for Level 2 are on their way as well! (I think I shall regret saying this :smiley:)

3 Likes

I believe it’s the ap. I have just realised no encouraging blurbs in Level 2 at all, but while I had the little icon promising vocabulary, I didn’t miss the blurbs!
In the ap , in Level 1, got listening exercises by seeing little ‘ear’ icon and finding how to pull it up, also to down load from same place as Challenges on ‘Battenburg Cake’ icon!! I will try looking for SSiW on Safari and see if I get vocabulary! @aran I did! So it’s only the ap on iPad that is bugged! However, I find it very easy to use, so would greatly appreciate if it can be sorted! Dear @Kinetic, I know you’ll be very busy, but…pretty please, when you have time!

This is the time to tag @lewie rather than Ifan… :slight_smile:

Jeff, henddraig is saying that she can’t see the vocab links in the app on an iPad - I presume they work the same way in Level 2 as they do in Level 1? :slight_smile:

The vocab hasn’t yet been loaded for Level 2 North in the app. However, by some odd coincidence, I was going to look into doing that today…

2 Likes

I think I love you, @lewie!!

1 Like

Well, as promissed here I am with the links to all Listening practices of Level 1. Since 1st Listening Exercise transcript isn’t made as PDF I’ve copy-pasted the text into Word, created PDF out of it and put it on DropBox in order you could download it.

Listening Practice 1 (Challenge 5)
Listening Practice 2 (Challenge 10) North
Listening Practice 3 (Challenge 15) North
Listening Practice 4 (Challenge 20) North
Listening Practice 5 (Challenge 25) North

Note that all those links except 1st one are those from SSiW page and when you click them you’d be prompted to download file immediatelly. You can not open them directly in the browser.

Since there are no translations in these transcripts I’ve gathered all text directly from the page where translations are posted too and put it togehter in one file. I’ll post link later on to that too so you’d have it all. In these transcripts there are also southern ones for Exercise 1 and two but not more than that unfortunately. Although I’ve found some strange layout in the document I’ve created so I have to put it a bit in order before uploading it to DropBox and share the link with you.

However I still hope this helps at least a bit.

I’ll post those same links in “Really useful stuff” also for all to find them more easily until they’re put into the new layout.

Happy listening.
Tatjana

2 Likes

To get back to the point of my original posting! If, as Aran says, “the real aim here is not so much to ‘master’ the listening exercises as to be pushed hard enough by them to find real conversation more navigable” then yes, I suppose I’m doing well. The first time that I listened to one of those listening exercises I despaired. Many weeks later, I can understand maybe 75%. Am I possibly breaking the very sensible “no perfectionism” rule? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

Unfortunately, the links for 2-5 give me an “unauthorised” message – it seems that the links are temporary and have expired.

Presumably, visiting the page where the links were originally posted will generate a new temporary link each time.

@aran I’ve checked just now and I found out those links really are temporary, what means they generate each time you visit the original site and click on them.

I can’t help at the moment with that but I’ve downloaded all the transcripts at home so I can upload them to DropBox or (if it’s easier for you) potentially to Google Drive for people to access them until you put them onto new layout pages. But I can do it only in the evening as I’m at work at the moment and don’t have much time to do such things when here. If I’d have some time (during the break possibly), I’ll downolad them here too and do the things for you, but I’m promissing nothing rather then disappoint you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, it’s evening and as promissed I’ve got the new way to share those transcripts with you.

NOTE: I didn’t correct previous links but rather posted a new post so here is the link to the whole folder of transcripts for you

Transcripts for Listening practices of Level 1 - DROPBOX LINK
Transcripts for Listening Practices of Level 1 - GOOGLE DRIVE LINK

I hope all who need transcripts will be able to access them now.

Happy listening and exploring!
Tatjana

EDIT to add that now I’ve added the file with the texts from the page directly as a PDF file into the DropBox and Google Drive folder also. In this file there are translation to all listening practices too as I found them on the original page. I didn’t split text into the dialogue though. I did just some coloring so you could divide transcripts from translations easily and merged some rows of text which Polaris Office’s Word which I use instead of Microsoft’s one, by some miracles splited into two right in the middle of the words or sentenceses so that you’d have the text with some sense … :slight_smile:

I hope this last addition would help you too.

3 Likes

Please is there a transcript available anywhere yet for Listening Practice 2 South (double speed), the one that is on the page with Challenge 10 (Level 1)? Or please could one of you more advanced folks have a listen to it and help me out?

I’m listening via this page https://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/level1/challenge10 . I’m struggling to recognise something Iestyn says around 3:14 which I am just not getting yet. Something like “dair gone tig”? Can anyone explain it for me please?

And, just before that around (3:12?) Cat says a word like ‘honey’. Sorry if I’ve missed it in the vocab lists of previous challenges, it’s not gone in yet if so. What does that mean please? I know I have heard it as a word in welsh (I remember it from the old course which I made a start on a while ago now) but please could someone tell me what it means?

1 Like

That sounds like “digon teg” (“fair enough”).

And just before that, sounds like Cat says “allet ti ddweud hynny eto bach yn arafach” - “hynny” (sounds like honey) = “that”

(oh, and no worries about not recognizing it - I just checked and hynny is indeed one of those little words that’s not introduced formally in the lessons - and it doesn’t appear in use until Challenge 19).

3 Likes

Thanks very much @lewie, I appreciate you taking the time to help. =D

I know I probably ought to just listen past it but that bit kept catching my attention because I didn’t recognise the words.

1 Like

Sorry, we lost the links to the transcripts with the new design - it’s on our to-do list to fix in the very near future!

1 Like

Hi,
I hope not one minds me jumping in on an older post. I have just done challenge 10 of the second level of North. I am finding that out I miss the listening exercises that we had in level 1. Though I have to agree with previous posts, and as I don’t get all that’s said, I did find that it helps cement phrases into my mind, And I wondered if they are around for the second level as I think it would help me immensely to continue tuning my ear as it were. I may just be missing them somehow. I use an iOS app for the most part.
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Not yet, but hopefully not too far away… :slight_smile:

1 Like

there must be so much work to doing all this, I wanted to say thanks.

When I think that it’s not going in, suddenly there’s a phrase repeated from an earlier lesson and it just sseems to snap into my head, even though I know I groaned time after time as I couldn’t remember it when you were first using it. Then you should have seen my smile. So, I know that it will get there in the end. I’m saying that bravely, perhaps I should say that I almost know it will get there in the end. :smile:

1 Like

That’s when you know it’s all worth it… :star2:

Diolch! :dizzy: