Listening: radio, tv, subtitles vs no subtitles

I considered ydy as being quite distinctively Welsh, but rejected it as excluding Southern yw pages. Am I right in thinking that Bing, unlike DuckDuckGo and Google, ignores the use of quotes?

2 Likes

The quotations didn’t seem to make any difference, so you might be correct.

@RichardBuck thanks a lot for the tips (and you and @JohnYoung for all the testing!)

I didn’t know that quotations on single words made a difference in (some) search engines.

One weird thing that happened testing searches on DuckDuckGo is that when I tried to use “UK only”, a few top results in Welsh were substituted with English ones. Another conspiracy! :grin:

It’s probably just a tech thing (these sites being more easily identified as UK for engines).

However, I still wonder why if it’s possible to filter results in Catalan and Esperanto…why not Welsh then?
Or you can choose Seychelles only but not Wales only? :roll_eyes:

Coming back to the original point about subtitles or not, I have sometimes watched things twice – with and without subtitles – sometimes deliberately, sometimes just because iPlayer and/or Clic were being flaky. And although I often spend the time watching without subtitles feeling that I’m missing lots of the story, and a bit out of my depth, on re-watching with subtitles I have often felt “Well, we knew that already, didn’t we?” – having clearly actually understood a lot more of the key points, at least, of the story without subtitles than I felt like I was understanding at the time.

6 Likes

I’ve been trying watching with and without subtitles quite a few documentary-type or entertainment TV programmes lately.

I expected music-related to be the easiest for me, followed by food and cooking.
Oddly enough, the clip I understood more than any, ever was a doctor or psychologist on Prynhawn Da talking about stress and related problems - symptoms, side effects, tips!
I guess there were so many words similar to English and Italian that it was super easy to guess everything else!

The worst of all so far, and the one I’ll probably have to see with subtitles for a long time if I want even just have a vague idea of what he’s talking about is…Dewi Prysor. :scream:

I remember @siaronjames mentioning him as an example of a very peculiar accent, a few months ago. But at the time I understand nothing when people spoke fluently, no matter what accent they had, so I hadn’t completely realized what it meant.
I tried again the other day and…whoa…I can catch maybe 0,2% of what he says! Nothing changed! :rofl:

But with other radio and TV programmes, it’s going way way better!

:laughing:

Might be worth putting “agoriad” in your tool kit, for gog-related key-related issues. :slight_smile:
(sometimes just 'goriad).

(Has other meanings, like “opening”, as well).

1 Like

Diolch, @margarethall. Brilliant!

2 Likes