Llanrwst Passport

Did anyone else get one of the Llanrwst Passports and get it stamped? I got one on the last day and managed to get about 20 stamps but, its pristine state was soon rendered " well-used" by the continual rain.

1 Like

I believe @leiafee got hers thoroughly stamped, too!

@AnthonyCusack and Emma had them.

We did indeed. Only got 4 stamps though

Does anyone know if these are still available somehow, or were they made just for the Eisteddfod?

I am making enquiries for you, from Llanrwst Council, about the continued availability of the Llanrwst Passport.

I had a lot of fun with it!

2 Likes

Penblwydd Hapus, dw i’n meddwl.

Cymdraegwn, There are some shops in Llanrwst that still have remaining copies.

It seemed that most summer events of any size in Llanrwst had their quota of rain, before and during the week. I now live in Devon but, I still have my Passport, mug and tea towel and fond memories of volunteering there.

Sounds awesome - I wish I got one…

Only qualm is - can’t we make a better translation of the English ‘passport’ than ‘pasbort’.

My non-Welsh speaking mates here in east Wales borders laugh at these lazy translations and I have to sit there and nod solemnly!
The gaelic translation is beautiful mind you.

I could almost agree with you, except that most of the words non-Welsh speakers notice and laugh at (ambiwlans, sospan, plismon) are ones that are only English because we borrowed them from French first (une ambulance, une sauce, la police). They don’t notice or laugh at old English loans, like broga (from Middle English frogge rather than modern ‘frog’), or betws (from Old English bēd-hūs, a house of prayer, where you go to tell your beads when you’re counting paternosters).

So I checked: “pass”, “port”, and “passport” are all borrowed from French. Without doing a re-run of Hastings, I don’t think there are English words for them…

3 Likes

Yeah I often respond to mocking “what’s the Welsh for [some word that both English and Welsh have borrowed and re-spelled from some this language]” with “Well what’s the English for it??”

2 Likes

“Entrepreneur” is the classic one, but the Scots Gaelic Duolingo has “Dè a’ Bheurla air heileacoptair?” (which you can probably guess from context!)

It goes back across the Channel ,too. Eg French have Le camping. Where did camping originate? Probably India, likewise pyjamas. Language must be continually evolving, Init?

And if I’m in a geeky context (often). I deploy this :wink:

3 Likes

Those stamp-filled passports must have been quite the sight. Time flies, doesn’t it?