Lle chwech (toilet): Uhhh?

Even in English, I always called my place on Gower a cottage (bwthyn), never a little house!

1 Like

How does bychan differ from bach? Is it a subtlety like the difference between “little” and “small” in English?

2 Likes

Goodness, this was in Gower! Her step father was the lighthouse keeper at Rhossili. She lived near the Worm’s Head! Where are you? I think her house is now National Trust. I say “lighthouse keeper”, I may mean Coastguard. I don’t think there is a lighthouse there…

I am now in Yr Alban (Scotland) and nobody in Rhossili in my day spoke Welsh. In fact they were famous for being hard to teach it to! Friend of mine, kind hearted, willing girl, sad that she was so bad at Welsh in Gowerton school, was told, “Don’t worry, dear, we never succeed in teaching Welsh to any child from Gower!” This friend was much older than me. I am 76 and she died some years back!

Pretty much. In these cases it probably helps to think of tŷ bach and tŷ bychan as ‘idiomatic phrases’ rather than pairs of individual words.

3 Likes

Brilliant! Well that was certainly true in my Mother’s case, as she can do no more than count to ten. She went to Gowerton Girls’ Grammar school. Perhaps she’ll find this some consolation!

p.s. The coastguard’s cottage had been National Trust for some time while I was still there. I did know verious coastguards by sight before that, but only really at the ‘going round carol singing at Christmas’ level. I am not Gower stock. I had an ‘auntie’ in the village, but she was from Swansea. ps anything else o this we will have to use PM (personal messages)

“Tŷ eitha bach” is the way SSiW mentions in one of the lessons to get around this.

3 Likes

Which is also used in ysgol feithrin as the term for wendy house. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

yes, wendy house probably would still have raised a few giggles, but slightly less embarassing than living in a loo!

3 Likes

Yes, but that means something slightly different, of course.

@siaronjames is as usual spot-on with her tš bychan.

5 Likes

I came across this when I started reading, Bethan Gwanas’ Blodwyn Jones books. Nice to know the history of this phrase.

I was thinking of Ty Cosi, but that’s obviously wrong on every level, unless you want to keep the pot warm or everyone in house has just come down with a dose of chickenpox.

2 Likes

It is a northern expression. My auntie (first language speaker) explained it to me years ago as meaning it was the sixth place (or room) in the house. Most houses had six rooms - 1. the kitchen, 2. the dining room, 3. the lounge, 4 & 5. two bedrooms, and “the sixth place” (which wasn’t mentioned in polite company). :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Lounge strikes me as very modern. We, when i was young, had front parlour for people like the rent man and us at Christmas when the fire was lit, and middle room for eating and sitting, with kitchen and little scullery at back, where the tap was! Tš bach out back but part of house adjoining scullery and in front of coal house which was reached from scullery directly

1 Like

Every time I call the sitting room the lounge, my mum yells ‘Catherine! You do not live in a PUB!’ If I ever called it the front room, my brother took joy in pointing out it was on the side, and therefore not a front room at all.
Families, eh?

6 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

You’re completely right @henddraig. I said “lounge,” because that’s what we’d call it now; but my auntie said “parlour.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is she also particular about whether it’s a sofa, couch or setee? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

couch - Auntie
setee - snobby Mam
sofa - me

3 Likes