Lle chwech (toilet): Uhhh?

Just on the origin of Lle Chwech and its association with the English word “privy”… there used to be 6 members of the Privy Council… :thinking: Wonder if it comes from there?

3 Likes

It might not be Mastermind and it might be 5 years late, but will this do?

Thanks to those that bumped this topic, gave me some laughs

4 Likes

haha - I got 8/10 (5 years ago I might have got the other two right as well! :rofl:)

1 Like

Fantastic. You must be flushed with success after that result!
Sorry, that was terrible! :rofl:

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I thought it came from (and it was explained to me thus by a Welsh speaker) ‘the place where you spent six(pence)’. Oldies like me can remember paying a tanner (the old sixpence) for a public loo. Now 20p i believe - damned inflation!

1 Like

It’s “spend a penny” in English! More upmarket loos in Wales, obviously :wink:

Based on my family’s visits to North Wales when I was a child in the 1960s, it was never 6d (sixpence). It was always 1d (one penny). Hence the euphemism, “I need to go and spend a penny”. We moved to Wales in the 70s, but so many loos were free that I don’t know when the price rose to 20p which is the usual now if you have to pay.

In Aotearoa (New Zealand) it was common practice to check if someone was waiting when you came out of a paid toilet and hold the door open, so they didn’t need to pay. I remember doing that for an American tourist in Switzerland once and she was so gushingly and loudly grateful, I felt really embarrassed for doing it and wondered if all toilets were free in the US, or if Americans just didn’t do such things for others :joy:

2 Likes