Llety Arall - a fantastic idea for a Welsh centre in Caernarfon

I think that’s Shwmae Su’mae Day, i.e. the day when you’re encouraged to greet everyone with Shwmae or S’mae or whatever your local version of that Welsh greeting is.

1 Like

That makes sense, and I actually wondered if that was the idea, though I had no idea there was a Shwmae Su’mae Day (and the original didn’t have the apostrophe). Thanks! (I’ll fix my original post.)

1 Like

Great little video for it, with English subtitles, here:

@Deborah-SSi - one for the email next week? :slight_smile: :star2:

4 Likes

I’ve never bought a share or invested in anything before so not too sure how it works. Say if in a few years down the line I wanted to sell my share and get my money back , would that be possible ? Also what are they going to do to make it a uniquely Welsh experience for the people who stay there ? I think it’s a great idea put together by a great bunch of people and anything that helps keep Caernarfon as uniquely Welsh as it is now has to be a good thing

1 Like

I’ve been reading their share document…

The minimum share is £250. Investors can’t sell their shares during the first 3 years, while the venture needs to get up and running, but after that, they can be sold back to Llety Arall, under conditions. They hope to be able to start paying a small rate of interest to shareholders, backdated for 2 years, at the end of the 3rd year.

But the investment is unsecured, so if Llety Arall stopped trading, investors could lose some or all of their money.

What they need now (and soon: the share offer ends at the end of this year) is people with spare cash and a cast-iron faith that this is a brilliant venture which will fly.

That sounds like me - I’m in!

5 Likes

Yup, us too - although we’re going to need to do the pay-over-10-months option… :slight_smile:

Sam - based on how they’ve run Palas Print, I’d imagine that they’re intending on being absolutely strict about only employing Welsh speakers, and promoting the language as much as possible, to make it as front-and-centre as possible - but they may well have other ideas above and beyond that - I’m sure they’d be happy to chat if you were in Caernarfon at any stage… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I may be being a bit thick here but I can’t find a way of paying by standing order online. It just asks me to download a standing order investment form. Did you manage to do it online @aran ? It only seems to give me an option to pay online if you are paying the whole £250 in one go .

1 Like

I’m pleased to have spotted this thread again. This project fluttered round my head a bit when I first saw it and now I’ve gone through the thread again I know it’s something that I want to contribute to.
Amazing really, two years ago if any one had suggested that I’d be willingly supporting projects to promote any language, let alone Welsh, they’d be pretty quickly be put in their place, where as now it’s the diametric opposite!
Dyna ni!

4 Likes

Sionned, can you explain what method finally worked for you to invest from outside the UK? :slight_smile:

1 Like

My investment was done online via credit card. It took them a while to get all the kinks worked out of the system so that it would accept my card, but when they did it was very similar to purchasing books or something from Wales. On their website you can find a lot of investment information on the “Buddsoddi” (Invest) page. There is a form to fill out and at the top of the form are the choices of how you want to make your investment. For us, by far the easiest way is to “Talu Ar-lein” (pay online). Once you fill out the form you click the “Buddsoddi” button at the bottom and it takes you to their payment interface. At that point, you fill in the usual information and proceed as you might expect. The one thing that seemed to be a glitch for a while was that my credit card was on a foreign (to them) bank, but we got that sorted in the end.

2 Likes

No, I asked Sel to print out a form while I was in Palas Print - I think all you can do online is get the form, but it still needs printing and signing otherwise the bank won’t accept it. They know about options like GoCardless, but GoCardless aren’t willing to make their interface available in Welsh, so Llety Arall aren’t willing to use them - a brave stance which I admire… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have just had a nice chat in Palas Print with the people behind the project and have filled in the form to invest. I have persuaded my friend to invest too . I also had the pleasure of meeting Ifor ap Glyn this morning and my head is really spinning now after a couple of hours of speaking Welsh !

7 Likes

Gwych :star: :star2: :sunny:

1 Like

Weles i hyn ar y wefan CymryFwy heddiw – saw this on the CymryFyw website today:

Unfortunately, I am unable to help financially, but I really hope they’ll succeed. Pob lwc!

1 Like

Hi, I have just joined this forum and website. I am a Welsh learner and have recently moved to North Wales. I am posting just to say after a lot of pondering I have decided to invest in Llety Arall as I think it is a good thing for the Welsh language and the community and I have faith in Palas Print.

4 Likes

Just got a newsletter from Llety Arall thanking me (and other investors) for our help in raising £140,000 and wishing us a Dolig Llawen “Merry Christmas”.

There’s also a picture of and a quote from a certain @Sionned in it!

6 Likes

Yep, great news. I got the newsletter too. Really chuffed for them. They worked hard in promoting the project. Looking forward to it moving forward next year.

3 Likes

Next step on for LLety Arall:
Quote from their newsletter:
"We have purchased the building
Thanks for investing in Llety Arall "

5 Likes

Llety Arall are asking for helpers this weekend - if anyone lives in/near Caernarfon and has some spare time:

Can you help?
This Saturday and Sunday anytime between 10:00 and 4:00
We need all sorts of help!
Clearing the building
We aim to minimise the waste from the project which goes to landfill which means finding a home for as many things as possible, carpets, desks, chairs and coat hangers.
Who enjoys taking photos and selling on line or on freecycle?
cysyllta post@lletyarall.org

In terms of physical work we need to

remove vinyl from the windows
strip wallpaper
lift carpets
remove doors carefully
remove architraves and skirtings
wall cupbds
carry stuff

We intend a clearing party 17-18 February
There is the possibility of aan art exhibition during

Gwyl Ddewi Arall