Llyfr Glas Nebo - Listen on Radio Cymru

Bore da,

Llyfr Glas Nebo is this week’s Llyfr Bob Wythnos on Radio Cymru. From what I can gather the book is being read across five 10 minute episodes this week (possibly part of Sian Cothi’s program). So whether you’re read the book or not, it should be great listening practice, especially if you’re following the Northern Course.

I’m about to start listening - enjoy! https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06thhrt

3 Likes

Also available as a podcast on the BBC Sounds app - Search for Llyfr Bob Wythnos

1 Like

I know things on BBCs page usually are not permanently available but how the things are with podcast on BBC Sounds?

Oh, and obviously the app is Geo restricted because i can’t find it in Google Play store. What I find is BBC iPlayer Radio adn BCast Listening BBC podcasts. Is this any useful? I’ll search on TuneIn app later if maybe they offer this there also though …

@tatjana BBC iPlayer is not geo restricted, I can’t look for it right now, but I’m sure I downloaded it and use it a lot while I cook! :smiley:

In . my experience BBC radio files are available just for a period of time usually one month, but some stay longer - and some disappear and reappear from time to time. (I don’t know these specific ones, cause I haven’t checked ethem out yet)

I’ve found iPlayer and will install it later and search if there’s this podcast available on there either.

I believe you are right. But podcasts tend not to last very long either. Typically about 4 weeks.

The BBC compares very unfavourably with other european public broadcasters in this respect, I am sorry to say. They would probably plead poverty, licensing fees, etc, etc. I don’t totally believe them, but, what can you do?

1 Like

Listen while you can … :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Maybe I’m missing something but I couldn’t find this on iPlayer and I use it all the time so thought I knew my way around.

I used a link to the BBC website found on twitter yesterday which I think is the same as the one in the opening post here. At the moment there are 24 days left to listen to the first episode. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06thhrt?ns_mchannel=source&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_radio_cymru&ns_linkname=wales

I listened to all 5 episodes yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it although I did find the male voice (Celt Moss) a little more difficult to understand than the female voice (Alys Williams)(as usual. How come us men can’t annunciate as well as you ladies?) Alys Williams made a fantastic job of relaying the emotional content in episode 4 which I listened to twice for some reason.

These recordings last, in total, just short of an hour so is obviously an abridged version of the book so hopefully if you enjoy this it will encourage you to buy the book and get even more enjoyment from reading it for yourself.

1 Like

This is the reason for the introduction of BBC Sounds, both the app and the section of the BBC web site. It’s not only a re-brand of the Radio iPlayer, but it also makes accessible all those clips from within programmes that were previously hard to discover.

Although I think the search and discovery needs some work. It’s very orientated towards finding stuff that you already know is there. That’s not ideal.

1 Like

I found this link kind of by chance (well, actually “BBC Sounds” recommended it to me to be honest, but that’s kind of hit or miss):

That’s all the episodes - penodae - which includes the Manon book and several others.

Here’s the link to the BBC Sounds https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/

And here’s the page on BBC Sounds whrer you can find 5 chapters of Llyfr Glas Nebo: https://www.bbc.co.uk/search?filter=programmes&q=Llyfr+glas+nebo

Enjoy.

wow, great, i’ll be making full use of these!

Oooh, thank you. Have downloaded!

I bought the book, but I haven’t been brave enough to try reading it yet. The two together will be brilliant. (Like having the transcripts for Beca a Phobl)

I have just finished reading th is.

I usually drink books down in great gulps, rushing from page to page. But because I was reading this in Welsh, I had to slow right down and take it a word at a time. As a result, my head is filled with the amazing images Manon Steffan Ross has conjured.

I would never have imagined, when I started on this journey, that I would be able to read a book in my mother’s first language – not just like an exam exercise in translation, but as something evoking a real emotional response. I am beyond grateful to SSiW for making this possible.

This is a book I won’t forget in a long, long time and I am not a bit surprised that it won the medal. I’d recommend anyone to try reading it.

And if you can, while it’s still available, try listening to this abridged version being read on BBC Radio Cymru on the radio iPlayer. It should still be up for just over three more weeks now. It’s a great exercise, especially as the two actors speak a bit more slowly than the rapid natural speech on Beca a’i Phobol, so your brain has a little more time to catch up! I’ve been listening to it before and after each bout of reading, and loving the way the words have started to fall into place as I listen.

5 Likes

That’s so moving - diolch o galon, Catriona! :star: :star2:

1 Like