Llyncu Geiriau - new series - more contestants wanted!

Have you found anyone to partner you?

Sadly no, I could just get lucky and be partnered with someone with excellent Welsh and good at word games

1 Like

I did say to the organisers that I would go if there was a shortage of interested people. I guess as I have heard nothing there are enough applicants to fill the programme. I would partner you if you find out there is still a need. Cardiff is only approx. 40 miles from where I live in SE Monmouthshire.

I’ll ask the question…

They may want to know things like age and gender, to try and get a mixture of people

@llanddinol would make a great partner. So long as there’s not a round where you have to distinguish between the Dambusters theme and 633 squadron…

I have just seen this thread - I really should come on the forum more often!! I received an email about this a couple of weeks ago and other email yesterday from Boom Cymru asking me to take part. I replied to say I might be interested but don’t have a partner, they said they could find a partner for me. I had ruled myself out of the Friday because of having to have time off work. They have me pencilled in for the Sunday but I have replied again to say I could attend either Saturday or Sunday. So if you don’t already have a partner perhaps they will team us up?!

2 Likes

Hi @Llanddinol a @sandramckenzie. I did ask, but my contact has gone on holiday, so we may have to wait for an answer.

1 Like

Hello Y Ddraig Las
On Monday 18th I received an email and telephone call from Ffion asking if I would fill a space on Sunday 8th October at 2.30 because they were short of people. I said OK so I am not available to join you on Saturday.

Just in case @Y_Ddraig_Las did not see this, @llanddinol you need the ‘@’ sign and when you start on the name, you’ll see options pop up. Click on the one you want and it will flag your post to the attention on that person!

Or just use the Reply link below the message (not the one at the bottom of the thread) - That does the same job.

It’s in the can. They are really friendly people and it is an experience I would recommend to other SSiWers, if only to see the Tag set!

6 Likes

When is it on.?

They think the series will be broadcast in November or December. Hopefully they will e-mail the date of my episode.

1 Like

I was there this afternoon but not on the winning team unfortunately. It is harder than one thinks although both of us could easily answer the other team’s questions. However, an enjoyable experience, and it was good to see how the recording was done even though there was a technical problem at one stage. The organisers were very friendly and helpful and Eleri Siôn was great.

If you are interested have a go.

3 Likes

It’s a shame we couldn’t make it the same recording. It would have been good to have known what to expect/do in each round more than 5 minutes before the recording session. I felt a little overwhelmed, as the other contestants seemed to have far more Welsh than I did, but then they’ve been learning a lot longer, my partner had just finished Uwch 4! But it was lots and lots of fun and I hope I managed to wing it successfully. I can understand now why people seem so stupid on quiz shows and forget everything! It’s just like exams where you have to function with 10% of normal brain, on top of that we are doing it in a language we are still learning and I didn’t know the programs format in advance. Actually I’m quite proud I survived looking at it like that.
Anyway if and when you do see it, don’t be too critical of my many mistakes and looking really stupid!

3 Likes

Well done! Will look forward to watching it. I’ve just started watching Llyncu Geiriaduron (with Welsh subtitles) - it makes me realise how much vocab I need to learn.

1 Like

It was harder than expected in some ways, I did not very many points trying to remember the list of objects as my brain froze. I would have done better in the translation I think, but my partner wanted to do that part. Our opponent had words like - come, go, tree - to translate into Welsh and he did very well. Nevertheless it was an enjoyable and enlightening experience. I may watch it when shown but will probably cringe at the performance or lack of it.
I must say I was quite impressed with Eleri Siôn and the way she made things seem so easy and when correcting mistakes she was not patronising.

5 Likes

Maybe they have got used to SSiW folk being good, so gave you the hardest questions!

I took part on Sunday morning. I really enjoyed it. I would recommend anybody who is interested to have a go in future, it’s a lot of fun! I enjoyed the translating round, don’t think I would have been very good at the memory game which my partner did well on. Eleri Siôn and the whole team were great.

3 Likes

I’m really looking forward to seeing you all on the new series :star2:

1 Like