Looks like a misunderstanding to me

I must confess I prefer cantatas and other smaller forms these days, because it’s hard to find time to sit through an opera, and it’s a pity to break it into pieces, even the operas with lots of “big hits”, like “Alcina” or “L’Orfeo”. It kind of breaks the inner logic and the dramatic composition of the music.
I’m also a fan of the Russian “романсы” - I don’t know the term for it in English, romances, maybe? Very lovely and rather unique.

There’s also the fact that while you can enjoy the music without paying for the concert, just standing nearby, a language course without a teacher is normally like a bowl of ingredients for a dish without the recipe. I doubt that people who will try to learn from the Memrise sets without doing the course itself in the way it’s meant to be done will get the same results.

1 Like

Good luck, Sara - and have a fantastic time!

1 Like

You should try our impromptu curries :wink:

1 Like

Is that similar to the Irish stew?:slight_smile:

Iirish stew is a fast food version of Welsh Cawl with better marketing

1 Like

To a Liverpudlian Irish stew is just watered down scouse!

2 Likes

Curry is almost never like Irish Stew except in Fawlty Towers where it is reliably so. It goes particularly well with their Waldorf salad - when Waldorfs are in season, that is,

Justin

1 Like

I thought watered down scouse is the way a Liverpudlian speaks in London when they want to get understood.

1 Like

I only heard about it (the Irish stew) from the Three men in a boat:)

1 Like

You seem to be on food now! Or music?
Is there still a thread on reading? Please direct me @tatjana, @aran, @owainlurch or @seren or anyone! (Case in point, can’t remember how to spell ‘anyone’ in Cymraeg, too lazy to ;look it up… reading good for improving spelling!! In fact try @ramblingjohn in ‘What’s outside’ and there is loads to read!!

Ah now I understand the confusion between Irish Stew and Currry - perhaps one of them was from Ireland, the second from Madras and the third Manuel from Fawlty Towers,

Justin

I would like to have a thread on reading, maybe we can talk someone else into it?:slight_smile:

1 Like

There have been several. e.g.

Tagging @henddraig

They are normally just threads with advice on whether to start reading, and when to do it, and what to read, and I think it would be so great to have a thread where we could discuss different books, in Cymraeg or in Saesneg:)

1 Like

I have finally decided to get my own copy of Y Mabinogion, in Cymraeg!

2 Likes

You do have the user ability to open a new thread, don’t you?..:wink:

[/close-hint]

1 Like

I do, but I’m trying to test the waters first, maybe nobody else is interested!

2 Likes

Go for it - there’s lots of interest;,

Justin

What’s the phrase? “If you make it, they will come”?

3 Likes

Well, I’m giving it a try:)

3 Likes